7 months ago
Senior Cost Engineer / Cost Estimator - Automotive
Senior Cost Engineers / Product Cost Estimators you will work with Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Finance to provide an independent view of future product costs and the risks and opportunities associated with these. The position is working on our Electric Vehicle.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Procurement at Dyson plays a vital role in strategic decision making. Ultimately it affects the very design of our machines and the growth ambitions of the business. In the balance between quality and price, quality must always win. So our global team needs to be rigorous in selection. Meticulous in determining standards, researching suppliers, analysing value and negotiating contracts. Challenging and diverse, their work creates a dynamic, driven team. Where the ‘next big thing’ relies on their ability to deliver agile, lean solutions as much as the inventiveness of Dyson engineers’ themselves.
* Build ground up ‘should cost’ estimates for new components, assemblies and projects currently being developed within Research Design and Development (RDD).
* Conduct reviews with Engineering to calculate future product costs and understand the associated risks and opportunities which could impact a product as it progresses through the development cycle. Use your experience and knowledge to influence product, assembly and component design to reduce cost where possible.
* Represent the Cost Management Team at project milestone reviews. Clarity of what makes up the product cost and what drives any variance to target will be essential. Be prepared to answer questions and challenge others at this cross functional meeting and deliver any cost actions arising.
* Work with Engineering and Procurement to develop new cost calculation ‘should cost’ tools.
* Work closely with Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Finance to agree achievable, but stretching Target costs for each assembly.
* Actively look to develop current reports and processes to continuously improve the timeliness, accuracy and quality of cost reporting in the context of the rapidly expanding Dyson RDD environment.
* Reverse engineer Products at a detailed level to creating cost comparison information to guide the NPI teams during the early development of new Dyson technologies (Cost Value Analysis).
* Actively seek out and drive the implementation of cost reduction measures to improve product profitability.
* Use your experience of manufacturing processes to enable the engineers to choose the most cost effective process to produce their parts.
* Analyse the suppliers manufacturing processes too and collaboratively identify how they can reduce their own costs and pass those savings on to us.
* Make or Buy - Complete make/buy studies where appropriate to help establish best most cost effective solution for production.
* Risks and Opportunities – develop a targeted list of cost risks and opportunities and work to realize the opportunities and mitigate the risks ahead of SOP.
* A degree in engineering or another directly relevant subject is needed with financial / business qualifications an added benefit (but not a pre requisite).
* Analytical ability demonstrated through previous engineering work.
* Direct experience working with and a deep understanding of development, manufacturing, packaging and consumer products. Familiarity with key industry players and influencing factors.
* Experience of working with and influencing managers and executives outside your direct reporting line.
* Experience within a high volume manufacturing environment will be a key requirement for the role.
* Strong knowledge of alternative manufacturing techniques and processes with global impact.
* Proven track record in working to tight timescales within a project programme, managing your budget and prioritising to deliver cost effective results.
* Tenacity in getting to understand an issue and challenging others in a constructive manner.
* Previous experience in working within a cost environment is essential.
* Strong communication skills in one-to-one situations, in a team environment and when presenting to senior managers and executives.
* Ability to manipulate large amounts of data.
* High aptitude for problem solving in order to resolve business, financial, customer, and organizational issues.
* Proven interpersonal and teamwork skills.
* Must possess highly effective analytical skills in areas of accounting, critical thinking, analysis and communication.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.