5 months ago
Career Opportunities: Senior Civil, Structural or Geotechnical Engineers, Tunnels - York (29575)
Req ID 29575 - Posted 31/10/2018 - United Kingdom - Bridge, Tunnel and Marine - Posting Location (1)
Job Description Print Preview
Email Job to Friend
Return to List
Since 1930, COWI has pushed the boundaries of design through our involvement on major infrastructure projects worldwide. As part of COWI's Bridge, Tunnel and Marine Structures (BTM) business line, we manage our projects from offices located in the UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Middle East, India, SE Asia and North America.
With a full set of world-class competencies within tunnelling and infrastructure engineering, combined with local presence and experience, our talented and dedicated professionals are ready to take on the most complex projects anywhere in the world – no matter how large or small.
In the UK, COWI UK's specialist tunnelling business have in-depth experience in civil, structural, geotechnical engineering and M&E including the development of underground space and infrastructure. We offer a dynamic work environment where multi-cultural teams from all over the world strive for the best results; we are recognised as a centre of excellence for quality, innovation and are the client’s first choice. Our philosophy of getting it ‘right first time’ in tandem with producing alternative designs to ensure safe, economic and sustainable solutions has firmly established COWI as a leader in its field.
Owing to further project awards, we now seek to recruit two Senior Engineers with either tunnel sprayed concrete lining or segmental lining experience to augment our existing talented engineering team.
This is a superb opportunity for career minded engineers with significant tunnel design experience, to develop their career and work for one of the industries foremost tunnelling and civil engineering companies, based from our York office.
COWI UK acknowledges our employees are our most valuable asset. We recruit the best people, retain, and engage our employees through interesting and challenging projects, sharing knowledge and expertise and being part of the COWI team.
Knowledge, skills and experience required:
* You will hold an Master's Degree in Civil, Structural Geotechnical Engineering
* You will have gained experience of producing design calculations for segmental or sprayed concrete lining for tunnel projects in the UK and gained knowledge of different UK soil and ground conditions
* You will be nearing Chartered status
* Be familiar with UK standards and equivalent Eurocodes
* You will possess an understanding of CDM Regulations, specifically the designers requirements
* You will have an understanding of the requirements regarding the risk assessment process
* You will be a proven team player with a willingness to collaborate with others
* You will have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
* You will have demonstrable report writing skills
* Knowledge of the UK rail sector would be a distinct advantage
Reporting to the Team Leader, you will be accountable for producing / checking designs and calculations for a variety of tunnel and underground structures projects, liaising with clients and mentoring / developing less experienced engineers.
You will work on some of the most interesting, complex and challenging bored tunnel projects spread across the UK and develop your skills under the tutorship of some of the industry's most respected design engineers. You will have a flair for producing structural calculations, be a team player who can collaborate effectively colleagues around the world.
Duties & Responsibilities Include:
* Assisting in the development of tunnel, shaft or underground infrastructure design from feasibility stage through detailed design, including construction support
* Production of engineering design and detail in accordance with project requirements
* Preparation of calculations, written reports and checking of contract drawings
* Checking of design calculations and drawings done by other engineers
* Visits to site as required by the project
* Writing technical progress reports
* Mentoring and developing less experienced team members to allow them to achieve their full potential
Remuneration & Benefits
COWI UK Limited is an equal opportunities employer and believe in rewarding our staff for their commitment and hard work. You will therefore receive a basic salary that will match your skills and experience, coupled with:
28 days holiday plus bank and public holidays
Private health care scheme
Life assurance (4 x salary)
Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
Cycle to work scheme
Flexible working arrangements (details available on request)
Long service award of extra pension contributions paid for by the Company and one extra holiday day after 5 years of service
Employee ownership through COWI share programme
How to Apply:
Applying could not be easier, please click the link and follow the simple steps to upload your CV and covering letter and commence what could be the next and most fulfilling chapter in your career to date.
Email Job to Friend
Return to List
Email this job to a friend
The job has been sent to
Please provide the information below
*Your email address:
*Your friend’s email address:
*Confirm you are not a robot:
Powered by SuccessFactors