about 1 year ago
Title : Senior Civil & Structural Engineer
Requisition ID :2018-31087
Work Location :GB-Gloucester, Gloucestershireshire-Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Civil
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
It’s a great time for you to join us.
Wood is growing its offices in Gloucester, Gloucestershire and Bristol on the back of significant opportunities in the nuclear new build and existing generation programmes. We are winning new contracts and want you to join our team. We are a professional, friendly and supportive team, who can offer exciting development opportunities across a range of projects. The south west of England is dynamic and thriving environment in which to take your next step in your career.
We’re looking for people
Who have experience or transferrable skills into the nuclear industry or other highly-regulated industries. Whether you’re beginning your career or already operating at a senior level, we’d like to meet with you and discuss the exciting opportunities on offer.
We are a people business
People are at the heart of Woods business. We work together to deliver the best outcome for our customers and we're united by our values of Care, Commitment and Courage. As well as aspiring to technical excellence, we are also passionate about diversity and inclusion: we are members of Women in Science and Engineering (WISE), have signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant and have trained Mental Health Champions in all our nuclear offices . We also have a Technical Support Network in the nuclear business, through the Head of Profession network. This enables planned progression and support to undertake roles aligned to the current and future nuclear generation assets.
As demand for our expertise continues to grow, an opportunity has arisen for a Senior Civil & Structural Engineer to support the Wood Nuclear business unit at our Gloucester, Gloucestershire office. This role will primarily be to support the UK Nuclear New Build (NNB) programme. Additionally, the role will support the UK nuclear Generation Services and Decommissioning businesses as part of a nuclear SQEP Civil & Structural cadre within Wood.
The successful candidate will be responsible for either directly undertaking, or supervising design and engineering substantiation of Civil & Structural Engineering tasks including; studies, optioneering, schematic and detailed design, detailing and specification of new conventional and nuclear safety related workscope. Experience of direct interface with Clients, regulators (e.g. ONR, Network Rail, HID or similar), Contractors and industry would be advantageous.
The successful candidate will play an important role in growing and developing the technical capability and credibility of the Gloucester, Gloucestershire office, being involved in the personal and technical development of staff within the Civils team. The successful candidate shall have excellent technical skills and the ability to solve complicated problems innovatively and cost effectively. Previous experience in the nuclear engineering sector is highly advantageous. In view of the desire to grow a secure and long-term Civils capability.
* Undertake all work in accordance with Wood quality assurance system, with due regard to Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE).
* To work collaboratively and in a collegiate atmosphere in the local Gloucester, Gloucestershire civils team and engage with specialists in the wider Wood.
* To deliver technical presentations to the Civils team to develop and broaden the knowledge and experience of the team.
* Undertake the role of Senior Civil/Structural Engineer on projects, preparing design calculations, contributing to engineering substantiation reports, preparing engineering details/drawings, risk assessments, method statements, specifications and similar project documentation, as required.
* Generally, the candidate will work under the supervision/instruction of a Principal Engineer on larger projects, but as required shall assume the role of Lead Engineer on smaller projects, or for packages/areas on larger projects.
* Where undertaking the role of Lead Engineer, shall be responsible for taking ownership of the delivery and line management of the engaged Civils resource, including quality and technical assurance, within budgetary and programme constraints, reporting to the Technical Director (TD) and Project Management functional lead.
* Carry out role of Originator, and/or Checker of civil & structural analyses and designs in concrete, steel and masonry.
* Carry out role of Originator. and/or Checker of geotechnical design/foundation analyses and designs.
* Undertake role of Checker of technical documentation and project deliverables, including calculations, reports, specifications and drawings.
Skills / Qualifications
* A relevant degree qualification or equivalent
* Corporate membership of a relevant professional body, i.e. MICE, MIStructE, or similar.
* International professional qualifications (e.g. MIEAust, MIPENZ, MIEI, MHKIE, etc) shall be in accordance with either the Washington Accord (CEng), or Sydney Accord (IEng), as qualifying for mutual recognition of professional status of the ICE, IStructE or similar.
* A minimum of 5+ years’ post-graduate experience in the field of civil and/or structural engineering design. Ideally the candidate will possess between 5-10 years’ experience.
* Demonstrable knowledge and recent experience in the application of Eurocodes, specifically EN 1990, EN 1991, EN 1992, EN 1993, EN 1996 & EN 1997.
* Knowledge and recent experience of EN 1998 would be advantageous.
* Knowledge of US codes and standards (ACI, AISC, ASCE) would be advantageous.
* Proficiency in standard software packages such as SAP2000, STAAD Pro and experience in finite element analysis methods (FEA) would be advantageous.
* Knowledge and proficiency in drainage analysis/design using WinDes/Microdrainage would be advantageous.
* Proficient in CAD packages, e.g. AutoCAD (2D/3D), REVIT (or other BIM systems) and/or other CAD systems would be advantageous.
* Demonstration of active CPD, supported by evidence of CPD returns for last 3 years, in support of training towards professional status.
* Demonstrable experience of nuclear engineering in nuclear new build, plant operations or decommissioning is highly desirable.
* Demonstrable experience of nuclear engineering, in new build, plant operations or decommissioning is highly desirable.
* Experience of the Safety Assessment Principles and duties under License Conditions under the Nuclear Installations Act is highly desirable.
* Experience of Generic Design Assessment (GDA) process is highly desirable.
* Experience in the production of Pre-Construction Safety Reports for nuclear safety related structures and QC Class 1 or 2 SSC’s is highly desirable.
* In lieu of nuclear experience, experience in similarly high regulatory industries, e.g. offshore/onshore oil & gas, rail or similar shall be considered.
* A Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card would be advantageous.
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations. You can also buy up to an additional week’s holiday and we also have a time off in lieu system. We are also introducing enhanced payment of family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* We are introducing private healthcare for all staff.
* Flexible benefits are also being introduced where you can have access to travel insurance, critical illness cover, dental benefit, childcare vouchers, cycle to scheme and more.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as group income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
JOIN US ON THE JOURNEY
You can also come along to our open event, bring a copy of your CV if possible:
DATE: 6 November 2018
VENUE: Gloucester, Gloucestershire Guildhall (Blue Coat Room)
TIME: 2 - 8pm
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.