11 months ago
CH2M are looking for a Senior Civil Engineer to join our established and dynamic River Engineering practice, working on a range of projects that make a difference to local communities and the environment.
The successful candidate will operate in a thriving Water and Environmental Management team which undertakes a wide variety of flood risk management, water resource, drainage and catchment planning commissions.
Recent projects, the type of which the candidate would be expected to contribute to in a technical capacity, have included Cheltenham FAS, Lower Dove FRMS and River Tame improvements. As part of the latter, we will shortly be commencing detailed design on phase 2 of Perry Barr & Witton FRMS, which will create one of the largest flood storage areas in the UK.
Based in Birmingham, the Senior Civil Engineer will have the chance to assist in the delivery of our portfolio of projects, working as part of an integrated and forward thinking team, as well as learn from and assist key specialists.
There will be opportunities to work on the EA WEM programme of works in the Midlands and provide support to other regions throughout the UK and further afield.
The position is focused on supporting the Project Manager in providing a technical lead on projects and providing the main link with less experienced resources, helping drive solution identification and design development.
• Work under the direction and mentorship of the assigned Project Manager(s) and Regional Technical Lead(s)
• As Package Manager, work closely with the Project Manager and Business Group project delivery leadership or other senior project managers / operations leaders who provide oversight and mentoring
Specific duties include:
- Co-operation with commercial manager and technical team
- Technical proficiency in the detailed design and specification of water engineering works
- Experience with scheduling (i.e. Primavera, MS project etc.) and program control systems
- Delivery of projects through all phases of project planning, execution, and closeout
- Familiar with established project delivery processes to meet the scope, schedule, budget and other specified requirements stated in the contract
- Ability to visualize solutions to ensure that holistically complete solutions are developed, taking into full account health, safety and environment in all project phases
- Completion of scopes of work to the satisfaction of the client, while simultaneously ensuring that CH2M’s HS&E, quality, financial, risk management, business and policy expectations are met
- Mentoring of graduate engineers in design practices
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
• Degree in Civil Engineering or other relevant engineering discipline or equivalent
• Chartered member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Knowledge of projects funded by the UK Environment Agency
• Sound hydraulic and engineering aptitude and ability (including the ability to design to BS/Eurocodes)
• Proven ability to produce accurate technical outputs
• Demonstrable ability of managing packages and projects
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
• Demonstrable relevant knowledge preferred, e.g.
- Participation and sub-leadership of multi-disciplinary teams driving solution development to the satisfaction of the client and stakeholders
• Proven ability of managing budgets and work schedule
• Provide leadership and motivate and enthuse the teams
Our Culture: Safety & health conscious, flexible working conditions, collaborative & friendly with regular social activities. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as individuals wanting to advance their career. We support and encourage our people to go through their professional qualifications. To get ahead we also have our JUMP network for aspiring junior to mid-level CH2Mers.
Our CH2M Foundation are renowned for supporting and helping to nurture sustainable communities. We partner ‘Engineers without Borders’, ‘Water for People’ and ‘Bridges to Prosperity’. We’re STEM ambassadors. We promote WISE (Women in Science & Engineering), we also have our own women’s engineering network to promote equality in our industry.
Take a look around our site to see some of the iconic projects we are involved in all around the world! Soon you could be part of award winning CH2M.
Developing People through Challenging Projects. CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK, CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.