11 months ago
The Transportation division within Atkins undertakes engineering design for the UK Rail Market. Our multidisciplinary York and Derby offices undertake a wide range of commissions for a variety of Clients, from initial feasibility through to detailed design and implementation support. Typical projects being undertaken at present include linespeed enhancement schemes, re-signalling schemes and the design of new structures to support new railway alignments. Such projects require the team to undertake a range of surveys and produce design drawings, calculations, technical specifications and reports.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Engineer to become a key member of our Civils team, overseeing the production of and reviewing civil engineering sketches, drawings, design calculations, technical specifications and reports.
• Lead the technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input in to complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
• Act as Civil Engineering Contractor’s Responsible Engineer for Network Rail projects.
• Use analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise different options and recommend the most suitable option.
• Oversee the production of and review high quality design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Carry out designs, design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards
• Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards. Ensure that all design submissions produced by those under your supervision are compliant with all relevant standards.
• Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring.
• BEng / MEng degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Membership of a relevant professional body, such as the Institution of Civil Engineers.
• Experience of acting as Civil Engineering CRE or deputy CRE on projects undertaken for Network Rail.
• Intimate knowledge of Network Rail’s GRIP process and the various deliverables required at each stage.
• Willingness and ability to lead the technical delivery of civil engineering projects and of the civil engineering aspects of complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
• Sound understanding of technical principles underlying civil engineering, particularly civil engineering structures.
• Sound understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes.
• Sound understanding of Network Rail standards and technical assurance procedures.
• Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes, particularly Word and Excel. Proven track record of producing high quality deliverables with little supervision.
• Relevant rail industry experience of working within a design consultancy essential. Wider knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation desirable.
• Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across several engineering disciplines.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.