about 1 year ago
Atkins Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support. Atkins is one of the UK’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancies engaged in numerous high profile projects for Clients in both the Public and Private Sector.
We are now looking to recruit additional staff to support our ongoing expansion of business opportunities in Northern Ireland and Scotland. With an increasing and diverse portfolio of highway and rail projects, Atkins is seeking a Senior Civil Engineer to be based in our Belfast Office.
Working in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, technicians and other professionals, you will be responsible for the delivery of highway designs including producing calculations, drawings, and specifications to relevant standards.
Your experience should demonstrate the successful design of projects meeting programme and budgets targets. Your communication skills and teamwork should be excellent, with the ability to present highway designs to clients and stakeholders.
You will be self-motivated and able to support Civils and Structures Team Leader in delivering projects. You will be accountable to the Team Leader and will be expected to advise Clients and other team members with regards to the optimum technical solutions.
• Chartered or near Chartered Engineer
• BEng or MEng in Civil Engineering
• Expertise and experience in all aspects of highway alignment design including links and all types of junctions
• A thorough comprehension of the technical standards relating to highways design with experience in identifying and seeking approvals for departures in standard
• Knowledge and appreciation of the component parts of a project with a track record of successfully delivering technically robust projects of varying values
• Expertise in standard detailing for the elements of a highway engineering project including, but not limited to those in the HCD
• Experience of client interface in conjunction with other senior staff
• Proven ability to advise clients on technical matters
• Proven ability to coach and develop team members including planning, monitoring and control
• A willingness to work flexibly to deliver projects to time and budget
• Experience in delivering private development schemes and knowledge of the planning process in Northern Ireland
• Qualified Road Safety Auditor (Team Member / Observer)
• Experience of drainage design;
• Project Management experience and qualifications; and
• Use of MS Office, including working knowledge of MS Project.
• Providing technical guidance on highway infrastructure projects from an up to date knowledge of highway engineering and the process and techniques involved in highway design and scheme development
• Assisting Project Managers on technical aspects of designs from project initiation through to completion
• Mentoring and coaching team members and taking responsibility for the technical development of staff
• Solving engineering problems
• Developing works cost estimates,
• Checking and reviewing the work of others
• Using highways design, drainage and other software packages to deliver technically robust designs.
• Liaise with key clients and be capable of discussing design / technical solutions to stakeholders including technical and non-technical Clients
• Ensure that projects are sufficiently resourced flagging up problems to the Team Leader and helping to resolve.
• Delegating work to team members, programming deliverables and monitoring progress.
• Identify and respond to project commercial risks and opportunities.
• Support Team Leader in work winning including representing the business at networking evets, preparing bids and tenders and establish, maintain and develop relationships with existing and prospective internal and external clients
• Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills;
• A resourceful, articulate and clear communicator, with the ability to influence others.
• A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines;
• Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team in leading and managing packages of work to completion, within budget and to programme;
• A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team;
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
• A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team; and
• Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days’ additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.