6 months ago
Job ID : 69909BR
Location : United Kingdom - Cambridge
Senior Applications Engineer - Structural Biology - Cambridge CryoEM Pharmaceutical Consortium (Cambridge, UK)
The use of Cryo-Electron Microscopy (Cryo-EM) in structural biology is on an exceptionally rapid growth trajectory, as the technique is shifting the boundaries in protein structure determination. As the global market and technology leader, Thermo Fisher Scientific is at the forefront of shifting the boundaries of what is possible, not only in academic research, but also in the pharmaceutical industry especially in new drug discovery.
The Cambridge Cryo-EM Pharmaceutical Consortium started in early 2016, as a collaboration between Thermo Fisher, five pharma companies, the University of Cambridge and the Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology (MRC-LMB). In this context, an industrial Cryo-EM lab has been set up to explore the utilization of Cryo-EM in the early drug discovery process. Thermo Fisher wants to further expand the team in Cambridge with a Senior Applications Engineer to accommodate the increase in industrial demand for Cryo-EM.
Building on a solid scientific foundation combined with excellent communication and customer facing skills, the Application Engineer will work closely with the Pharmaceutical company members of the Consortium to execute world-class single particle analysis on difficult target proteins and complexes. This involves sample preparation, advising on biochemical and sample preparation strategies to achieve optimal samples, sample screening and interpretation of images, high resolution data collection, and advise and demonstrate single particle analysis image processing at the limit of what is currently possible. This also includes training of Consortium members on any aspect of single particle analysis where requested. Supporting pharmaceutical companies with sample processing on state of the hard hardware - Titan Krios with latest cameras and data processing setup - also requires close interaction with the MRC-LMB, the University of Cambridge, and Thermo Fisher applications, service and R&D teams.
Deliverables for this role include:
* Vitrification of samples for single particle analysis, training and supervision of vitrification, and preparation and loading of samples into Krios
* Sample screening and analysis of images to determine optimal sample preparation (and advising on sample preparation options to overcome potential artefacts).
* High resolution data collection
* Maintenance and analysis of system performance
* Extensive interaction with the Pharmaceutical companies to aid in their project execution
* Supporting activities to ensure the best quality results, and a highly productive operation
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
* Typically requires an advanced degree (PhD) in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Biophysics or Structural Biology with strong post academic background demonstrating expertise in critical microscopy application areas (sample prep, cryo-EM data collection and processing, …)
* Typically requires approximately 5 years of experience in high-end electron-microscopy in an advanced research (academia or industry) environment
* Experience interacting with customers, service, and R&D
* Confident and determined
* Capacity to work independently as well as in teams
* Strong communicative and inter-cultural skills (verbal and non-verbal)
* The position will be based in Cambridge UK with up to 10% travel (UK/International)