11 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
QinetiQ is a key member of the Aurora Engineering Partnership. This Partnership has been appointed by the Ministry of Defence (MOD) as the Engineering Delivery Partner (EDP) for Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) Engineering Services.
Our mission is to provide leadership across the engineering enterprise, to drive increased performance and productivity across the full scale of engineering services, by focusing on outcomes for those on the front line. In order to achieve this, we are recruiting Systems Engineers focusing on specific domains.
We are looking for people to join our growing team of Systems Engineers who are interested in applying and developing their technical expertise to help meet the needs of the DES and our Frontline Commands.
As part of this initiative we are looking for an experienced senior Aerospace Systems Engineer to work in the field of requirements and project technical leadership. The projects are expected to cover mainly fixed wing platforms and their subsystems but there may be some rotary wing work.
Key accountabilities of role:
• Working flexibly, either as part of a team, singly or as a team leader, on air domain projects and tasks to support DE&S
• Technically driving the planning and management of acquisition, research or product development activity
• Identifying, engaging and managing diverse stakeholder communities
• Providing Systems Engineering advice to all sizes of project
• Undertaking technical decision making using inputs from SMEs
• Collaborating with other members of project teams in support of project goals
• Developing requirements for air domain projects
• Planning verification and validation activities to ensure that evidence can be gathered in a cost-effective way to support system solution acceptance
• Anticipating, identifying and addressing potential issues such as delivery problems, lack of input information etc.
Particular skills/experience required:
A mix of some or all of:
• Understanding and applying the Systems Engineering approach across the lifecycle (‘strength in breadth’)
• Application of appropriate lifecycles to projects
• Flexibility to travel as required to support project activities (main focus being Bristol).
• Identifying and responding to customer needs
• Through-life Engineering and Management
• Business analysis and consultancy
• Flexibility of approach, ability to innovate
• Planning for trials, test and/or acceptance
• Developing outputs for customers (reports, products, services)
• Potentially working on several tasks simultaneously
• Creating and managing own work and task delivery schedules
• Managing change.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Able to technically work with or potentially to lead groups of scientists, engineers and military representatives in a collaborative and collegiate way, enabling a high-performing culture
• Analytical and logical thinking skills
• Able to work and produce consistent results with minimal supervision
• Good questioning, listening, influencing and general interpersonal skills
• Well-developed oral, written communication and presentation skills.
• Applying the emotional intelligence necessary to work successfully with diverse stakeholder groups.
• Capturing customer needs across Defence Lines of Development (DLOD)
• Identifying and delivering solutions to customers’ real, unstated needs as well as those directly expressed
• Moving at times from high uncertainty towards a clear problem definition
• Differentiating problem definition from solution design
• Rapidly assimilating information and gaining a good understanding of the problems and issues associated with new tasks
• Thriving in a varied, complex, and frequently changing work environment, often with demanding timescales.
Experience and qualification:
• Degree or equivalent in a relevant aerospace engineering or technical discipline, or proven experience working in an equivalent engineering role
• Professional qualification, or working towards one
• A good working knowledge of general Systems Engineering principles
• Excellent people management and communication skills
• Technical experience within the aerospace domain.
• Sound knowledge of the MoD customer and MOD Procurement process.
• Model Based Systems Engineering knowledge