8 months ago
Salary: £31,305 - £37,028 or £38,969 - £47,300 per annum (dependent on skills and experience and inclusive of annual role-based allowance)
Grade: Band D or Band E
Contract Type: Fixed Term (4 years)
Hours: Full Time/Part Time (minimum 25 hours per week)
Closing Date: 29th November 2020
STFC’s Central Laser Facility (CLF) is the UK’s national centre providing scientists with an unparalleled range of state-of-the-art laser technology to carry out a broad range of experiments - from biology and medicine to material science and plasma physics. Our work is helping to inspire solutions to everyday problems and outstanding fundamental questions in science alike: from developing future energy sources and novel diagnostic capabilities for cancer and bone disease to recreating astrophysical events in the early universe in the laboratory.
CLF is now building a new laser centre - the Extreme Photonics Applications Centre (EPAC). This £81.2M facility will use lasers to drive novel particle and x-ray beams, opening up novel biomedical and industrial imaging capabilities. EPAC will be world-leading scientific infrastructure combining state-of-the-art laser, accelerator and data management technologies. We now have an exciting opportunity for a highly skilled data scientist or software engineer with relevant expertise to join the EPAC team on a fixed term basis.
Your main role will be to work with a team of scientists and engineers to design and deliver the data management system of EPAC. You will join the EPAC team in CLF, working with experts from Diamond Light Source and other STFC departments such as Scientific Computing and ISIS. Depending on your expertise, you will also have the opportunity to lead parts of the data management system.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced or emerging data scientist/engineer to develop further: the successful candidate will have a stimulating work environment with exposure to various cutting-edge technologies.
As part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), STFC offers a working environment and benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance. For this opportunity we welcome applications on a full-time basis and we also offer a flexible working scheme. Further benefits include 30 days’ annual leave, 10.5 public and privilege days, Christmas shut down, a workplace nursery, an exceptional defined benefit pension scheme, and social and sporting activities and societies. STFC is an open and inclusive work environment, committed to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
The following criteria will be assessed at either shortlisting (S), interview (I), or at both stages (S&I)
* Degree or equivalent experience in computer science, software engineering, or strongly related STEM subject with significant software development experience. (S)
* Sound understanding of object-oriented analysis, design, and experience developing using object-oriented programming techniques and testing frameworks. (S&I)
* Experience of using code repositories and issue tracking systems. (S&I)
Good verbal and written communications skills including the ability to explain technical concepts effectively. (S&I)
* Good customer focus, agreeing requirements and project managing small projects to completion. (I)
* Ability to work independently and within a dynamic, agile team environment. (I)
* Ability to learn quickly and share love of new tools and technologies. (I)
* Ability to take initiative and proactive attitude to problem solving with a thorough and logical approach. (I)
Essential criteria for Band E
To be considered for the higher grade you will meet all of the above essential criteria and will also have:
* Expertise of software development using Apache Kafka or similar platform. (S&I)
* Expertise in C# / Java / C/ C++. (S&I)
* Expertise in Data Management Systems. (S&I)
* Experience with Big Data in real time. (S&I)
* Experience of heading up the software development process using modern agile techniques. (S&I)
* Experience in technical leadership of software development projects. (S& I)
* Ability to contribute to team motivation and established people management skills. (I)
* Project/people management experience. (S&I)
* Experience in requirements capture, analysis, and specification. (I)
* Experience in working with customers. (I)
* Postgraduate qualification in Computing or STEM Subject. (S)
* Experience with image processing. (S&I)
* Experience with EPICS framework for industrial/scientific control systems. (S&I)
* Experience of whole stack software projects. (S&I)
* Experience of working in a collaborative development environment. (S&I)
* Experience in working in large scientific facilities. (S&I)
* Experience of development on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS). (I)
* Experience of GUI development using Qt or OpenGL. (I)
* Experience of unit and system testing. (I)
* Experience or understanding of automated testing and continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, Hudson, Travis or similar. (S&I)
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
Polaris House is located next to Swindon Train Station and has excellent public transport links. Limited parking subject to waiting list.
UK Research and Innovation recognises and values employees as individuals and aims to provide a pay and reward package that motivates staff to the best of their ability. The reward and benefit package includes a flexible working scheme, an excellent Defined Benefit pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
We are committed to developing employees in their roles throughout their career. Learning and development plans enable employees to continue their professional development through training and development opportunities such as e-learning, classroom training and on-the-job experiences. We encourage our employees to share their learning across teams and organisations.
We strive to make decisions based on individual merit and ability. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and promote equality of opportunity in accordance with the Equality Act 2010. As holders of Disability Confident Employer status, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
Online applications only. Please submit a covering letter and CV ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Please note that failure to address the above criteria or submitted without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered.
If you would like to receive this advert in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), are unable to apply online or do not wish to create an account but would still like to apply for a specific role, please contact us by telephone.
If you have not already logged into iRecruitment (including as a current employee) you will be re-directed to the login/register page by clicking the "apply now" button. If you don't have an account with us, by choosing to register you consent to UK SBS processing the information you provide as part of the Recruitment Service. You can select appropriate job alerts and notifications as part of your account preferences, and you are able to close your account (withdraw consent) should you wish to do so. Before starting your online application and inputting your personal details, please read our Privacy Notice which contains full details of how your information is processed once you have made an application.