16 days ago
: Jan 10, 2021
: Europe, Middle East, Africa-United Kingdom-United Kingdom-London
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Level: Vice President
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
RICE (Risk Calculation Environment) is the strategic risk framework for the Fixed Income business at Morgan Stanley. Our group provides both the development environment and the runtime environment for the RICE Platform. Multiple teams are working together to build this cutting edge, highly integrated, functional Scala platform to underpin the firm’s next generation of applications. This platform covers a number of technologies including object stores, bitemporal data representation, asynchronous, memoized and highly distributed compute graph processing, embedded query languages and declarative reactive UIs. Our clients are over five hundred application developers across many areas of the firm.
• The Core Graph team are responsible for the concurrent compute engine and associated Scala compiler plugins and macros which automatically transform application code to run asynchronously. They also develop the high performance caches, reactive graph engine, debugging and profiling tools and various other components.
• The Data Access Layer (DAL) team builds the servers and clients for storage, access and global distribution of data within the platform. These integrate with MongoDB, PostgresSQL, Kafka and other open source technologies, along with internal and external cloud platforms, to provide data to large compute grids as well as front office UI applications.
• The User Interface (UI) team provide bindings from the reactive graph engine to create interactive HTML frontends. They utilize Scala macros to define domain-specific language bindings allowing other development teams to create web applications entirely using Scala.
• You should be a technically proficient and enthusiastic developer, with a desire to work across the full stack in order to help engineer new and existing components.
• You will work on new and existing components in Scala in an agile team working across multiple time zones.
• You will support and lead different phases of the product lifecycle including analysis, development and testing.
• You will suggest improvements to our systems and processes and over time you will take ownership for some areas.
• You will collaborate closely with very experienced Scala developers and have the opportunity to learn and grow in this role.
• Your clients will be application developers and you will work with them to understand and deliver their requirements#LI-PW1
• The primary development language is Scala but we will consider highly skilled
technologists proficient in any of .NET, C++, TypeScript or Java who are
excited to work with Scala.
• Strong problem-solving, analytical skills and technical curiosity are essential
• Good understanding of core computer science concepts and code optimization
• For the Graph roles, experience working with compiler internals or Scala macros
is helpful but not at all required
• For the DAL roles, experience working with a variety of SQL and no-SQL
datastores is helpful but not at all required
• For the UI roles, experience working with a libraries such as Angular, React or
Electron is helpful but not at all required
• Prior experience in the financial industry is not required, but comfort working
with large enterprise systems is beneficial.
• Understanding that testing and documentation is critical to delivering high