4 months ago
Title : Sample Preparation Team Leader
Requisition ID :2018-30919
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Warrington
Department / Discipline : Scientists
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment
Wood is recruiting for a Sample Preparation Team Leader to to work within the Applied Chemistry and Materials team, within Wood’s Consultancy & Defence business, to be based at Birchwood, Cheshire. The successful candidate will be working within a small team delivering customer solutions for the wider Analytical Services Operating Unit. Analytical Services receives a wide range of sample types, both radioactive and non-radioactive. These samples require preparation (sub-sampling, size reduction, dissolution etc.) prior to further analytical processes. This is a busy role with many customer demands and prioritisation.
As Sample Preparation Team Leader you will join a business that supports a wide variety of different laboratory analyses.
Your responsibilities will include:
* Ensuring all work is conducted safely
* Preparation of samples using mechanical and chemical techniques as required
* Prioritisation of work based on customer requirements
* Supervision of the sample preparation team including personal development reviews (PDR)
* Interfacing with the Radiological Support staff to ensure compliance and effective management of radioactive samples
* Sample analysis using a variety of different techniques
* Ensuring all equipment is serviced and maintained
* Improving processes and equipment to, increase safety, reduce costs and turnaround times
Skills / Qualifications
* You will need a minimum five GCSEs at Grade C or above (or equivalent). This includes Maths, English plus at least 2 other of either science, technical or engineering subjects
* ‘A’ level chemistry or equivalent preferred
* Previous experience of managing or directing staff
* You’ll also need a talent for practical subjects and enjoy ‘hands on’ working
* Flexibility in the daily tasks you perform
* Eagerness to work and develop your career in the nuclear industry;
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.