12 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
*Farnborough or Boscombe location is preferred*
• Develop and own the growth strategy, working alongside the IDTLs to deliver orders in line with the strategy over a 1-3 year period. Protecting and securing current customers and market position.
• Liaise with any associated ICTLs or IDTLs that impact your AOR, increasing a collaborative approach.
• Liaise with the International Technical Sales Engineer (AIR), confirm the IDT growth strategy and influence regional activities (expo/meetings/events/visits)
• Attend the scheduled IDT reviews, provide updates and situational awareness of strategy and pipeline
• Attend the relevant IDT winning process (DP) reviews, reviews dependant on CAT status
• Provide “Winning Business” Direction and Guidance IDTs, ensuring the associated PMs can secure follow-on sales.
• Provide input to the IDT operating budget(s) yearly, making sure you have the right tools to work effectively
• Manage the BD budget, providing management and control for its effective use to target less than 3% cost of winning business.
• Authorise and approve BD Expense claims for the DT, in alignment with corporate policy
• Strategy: Own, set and deliver the business unit strategy and deliver against challenging objectives. Develop and deliver a qualified 3 year order intake pipeline valued in the tens of millions.
• Customer/Partner Relationships: Build and retain strong relationships with existing customers and partners at executive and senior management levels to close deals and provide our delivery businesses with sound, profitable contracts. Ensuring that customer focus is at the heart of the business decision making.
• Leadership: Provide business winning leadership capability to the business unit. Success will depend on your ability to forge strong intra and inter-company collaborative working relationships to develop great solutions for our customers. Ensure all of the blockers and accelerants for delivering the strategy are identified and mitigated or exploited. Identify key risks in delivering the growth strategy and to work with the team to remove them as impediments to growth.
• In Year Accountabilities: Deliver the in-year orders and a growing order intake pipeline in accordance with agreed expectations. Set and manage the budget to prosecute the strategy and ensure Return on Investment.
1. Broad Thinking - Thinks broadly and creatively about the industry and customer landscape, effectively considering wider factors and identifying longer-term opportunities that fit with QinetiQ’s core capabilities
• Can describe the geopolitics affecting market conditions in several territories
• Considers wider implications such as reputational consequences when evaluating an opportunity Identifies which countries we should be pushing into outside the UK
• Identifies market shaping opportunities by thinking in terms of positioning and brand rather than just capability and price
• Enables others to identify and look at opportunities more broadly – beyond technology and price
• Finds new and creative possibilities in adjacent markets that benefit the longer term
2. Relationship Building - Actively seeks to build and maintains trusting relationships with a wide network of relevant people in the industry, customer and QinetiQ, leveraging these relationships appropriately
• Develops QinetiQ’s profile in a locality or market
• Develops broad network with industries, government, and relevant agencies
• Encourages and supports others in developing a strong network
• Leverages relationships effectively to increase business opportunities
• Uses wider network effectively to achieve competitive advantage
• Champions authenticity, transparency and trust
3. Customer Focus - Ensures they understand the customer’s perspective and needs - both professionally and personally - focusing on what will deliver value to them.
• Anticipates and mitigates potential issues that may occur, ensuring they manage customer expectations throughout
• Sets focus on developing solutions that add value for the customer now as well as in the future
• Champions strong customer relationships that lead to long-term business partnerships
• Effectively uses in depth customer knowledge and understanding to develop business solution offerings that lead to competitive advantage
• Helps customer change their thinking, challenging their views/ideas where appropriate
• Builds in regular check-points to ensure transparency and communication flow
4. Commerciality - Evaluates issues and situations in terms of what will optimise growth and profitability for QinetiQ over the medium and long-term, taking into account the wider commercial landscape
• Encourages others to think in terms of ‘Win strategy’ focusing on how to win and what to sell
• Makes decisions based on long-term implications and knowledge of customers
• Can take a blank sheet and develop a plan for a market and offer that is profitable
• Can build a defensible business case, using information from multiple sources which guide decisions regarding new market entry
• Brings to the strategy review a price and plan to win (knowledge of cost base/supply chain, customer need, customer engagement strategy and timescales)
• Coaches others to take an assertive approach when having to have tough conversations with the buyer and discuss profitability and growth
5. Personal Impact - Adapts their approach to communicate clearly, credibly and positively when engaging different stakeholders, focusing on earning trust and getting buy-in
• Seeks to engage and persuade people into supporting bids and opportunities
• Enthuses their audience as well as delivering a clear message and call to action
• Manages meetings so they are informative and energising and colleagues leave feeling motivated
• Listens well – is not always on transmit; knows when to stop and listen; asks the right questions at the right time
• Adapts their approach to interact effectively in different company and national cultures
• Champions credibility in their different approaches to gain buy in and engage others
6. Resilience - Maintains a positive and ‘can do’ approach in difficult situations and over a long period of time; delivers difficult messages constructively when required
• Is a change agent, taking responsibility for shaping the business for the future
• Leads others through difficult and demanding projects displaying calmness and confidence
• Challenges change fatigue directly; Maintains a positive orientation towards change and new ways of working
• Advises and mentors less experienced colleagues and is unafraid to share successful methods and ideas with them
• Challenges the status quo when required, is unafraid to drive change
• Champions new processes and procedures, encouraging others to challenge tested methods
7. Takes Ownership - Takes accountability for organising themselves and others to deliver for the customer and QinetiQ; consistently takes the initiative and ownership to drive outcomes
• Focuses self and others on measures and KPI’s that make a difference
• Takes cabinet responsibility for choices made, promotes them and acts on them despite any personal misgivings
• Provides a balance of challenge and support to people working with them
• Builds a structure that others can work effectively within
• Clarifies roles and responsibilities in a team situation and retains overall responsibility for bid quality and timeliness
• Holds the business to account for a successful bid through cajoling and controlling
8. Collaborates Across Boundaries - Drives and facilitates effective working across organisational boundaries to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes
• Breaks down internal silos to broaden and increase opportunities and ways to exploit them
• Willing to change own priorities for the good of the wider business
• Sets people up for success amongst customers, prospects and internal colleagues
• Creates an environment in which functions and teams work with rather than against each other
• Takes a structured and planned approach in successfully influencing internal and external stakeholders
• Thinks of opportunities as QinetiQ ones rather than personal ones; shares leads outside own function or expertise
Experience & Qualifications
1. Previous demonstrable experience in a sales/business development role at a management level in a commercial environment
2. A leading advocate and practitioner of winning business, liaising with customers at a senior level, structuring propositions and overseeing the creation of proposals and bids
3. Comprehensive understanding of concepts and principles within sales and an understanding of the technological disciplines and project delivery
4. Experience of leading a team of professionals
5. Thorough understanding of sales competencies and tools, best practice and current thinking regarding effective and commercially sound sales strategies
6. Highly skilled at managing relationships and conflicting priorities at a senior level
7. Strong coaching, facilitation and consultancy skills with a proven track record of being able to influence at all levels
8. Knowledge of challenges and changes in the sector and how they may relate to QQ
9. Ability use multiple sources of information to evaluate situations to drive the best possible outcome.