about 1 year ago
Safety, Health and Environmental Advisor
The closing date for this vacancy is 6th September 2017. However, we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid’s recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
National Grid's energy network transports gas and electricity to homes and businesses all over the UK. It’s an essential part of all our lives. And it needs to be continuously advanced and enhanced to meet increasing demand whilst embracing new energy solutions. That’s why we’re looking for people with the creativity and originality to drive progress. People like you
About the role
National Grid Ventures (NGV) is a business directorate which is made up of our Metering, LNG and Interconnectors businesses. NGV is creating an agile future for our businesses, our customers and our people in order to secure future success and growth. This is an exciting time to join the SHE team within NGV at National Grid, acting as the lead source of expertise for SHE delivery and performance across our business portfolio As SHE Advisor, you will provide guidance and advice to enable our business to deliver their SHE responsibilities, legislative compliance against business priorities, and to lead and implement agreed SHE improvement initiatives to drive continuous improvement
* Work with the business to develop and implement effective SHE strategies that align with business priorities, mitigate business risk and/or bring business benefit.
* Provide expert advice to managers and their teams on SHE legislative requirements and undertake and support incident investigations.
* Identify SHE risks and deliver tools and techniques to the business to manage SHE commitments and accountabilities.
* Develop and implement approaches for the capture and analysis of SHE data that supports open and transparent reporting, provides high visibility of information that supports the attainment of defined goals, targets and KPI's.
* Actively engage and positively influence managers, staff, service providers and other key stakeholders on SHE performance and risk management.
* Establish and implement best practice to driving ongoing improvements in SHE performance ensuring that changes are effectively communicated, understood, implemented and monitored.
* Contribute to the development and delivery of SHE projects, policies, standards, tools and training to drive continuous improvement and ensure the business complies with legislative requirements.
* Provide a point of contact with external stakeholders and enforcing authorities on SHE related issues; establish and maintain positive working relationships
Main interfaces - External - Service Providers, Statutory and Enforcement Authorities
Main interfaces - Metering business stakeholders, Interconnector business stakeholders, LNG business stakeholders, SSR
You will have a technical/professional health and safety qualification through Degree, NEBOSH General Certificate, NVQ or equivalent. A technical/professional environmental qualification through Degree, IEMA Associate Certificate, NVQ or equivalent is desirable.
You will also have:
* Knowledge and experience of practical application of SHE legislation.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence, engage and communicate articulately.
* Ability to make sound decisions based on pragmatism and practicable application for management of SHE risks.
* Membership(s) of a relevant professional institution (e.g. IOSH, IEMA) or demonstrative experience that meets requirements for membership.
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.
The closing date for this vacancy is DATE TO BE SET. However, we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid’s recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.