about 1 year ago
Safety Engineer (Oil/Gas/Petrochemical)
Safety Engineer (Oil/Gas/Petrochemical)– Warwick- West Midlands - £42k-£50k National Grid
We are National Grid, and we are at the heart of energy. From heating homes to making sure businesses fire on all cylinders, we’re using our engineering excellence to connect people and the planet. We’re also looking to the future – innovating, inventing, and transforming – to make possible the energy systems of tomorrow. And that’s why there’s never been a more exciting time to join us and help us to make a difference to people’s lives every day.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Safety Engineer (Oil/Gas/Petrochemical)* based in Warwick to join our Asset Engineering team to help to shape the compliance framework for the Gas Transmission Owner unit and provide guidance and leadership on safety engineering matters.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual from a strong safety culture who is interested in building strong working relationships with internal stakeholders, external regulators, industry bodies and across the wider gas industry.
As a Safety Engineer you will provide specialist technical capability in development and delivery of safe engineering and asset solutions for activities in a range of technologies and disciplines associated with UK transmission plant and equipment to meet legislative requirements and company objectives
Other key accountabilities include:
* Leading the development of UK gas transmission assurance practices, procedures, specifications, engineering and safety instructions
* Carrying out formal process safety assessments to meet statutory requirements.
* Producing detailed reports, safety cases, data and information to inform asset management decisions to a range of audiences, both internal and external
* Leading the implementation of business plans to improve the safety and reliability of gas transmission assets.
* Conducting audits, incident investigations, and detailed inspections to manage risk, while creating value for the business.
* Providing support and guidance on major accident hazard issues. Have full understanding of major accident hazard management including the application of appropriate policies, and also how and if deviations / deferrals of policies can be managed.
* Leading on the development of emergency plans and training to meet legislative requirements and liaise with external bodies as required.
Knowledge and Experience Required
* Knowledge of safety engineering skills and techniques with a demonstrable knowledge of risk management.
* Technical understanding of a wide range of Gas Transmission/Oil/Petrochemical plants and equipment or experience of operational or technical asset management in gas transmission or the petrochemical environment will be a huge advantage
* Track record of developing working relationships quickly and effectively as well as successful stakeholder management
* Good organizational and operational skills with the ability to link this awareness to technical judgement and decision making.
* High degree of self-motivation with a flexible approach to work.
* Experience in one or more areas of HAZOP, SIL, QRA, consequence assessment, Emergency Planning, COMAH Safety Reports and Pipeline Risk Assessments
* HND level education preferred in relevant Engineering discipline or equivalent
* Incorporated Member of an Institution
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.