7 months ago
Our Transportation Division is currently seeking an Engineer in our Edinburgh office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary road projects across the UK. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you will deliver a variety of roads schemes including new build, renewal, and maintenance works.
You will be part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities and the construction industry. Major clients include Transport Scotland, Local Authorities and design and build contractors. You will also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you will have a background in civil engineering design and delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within a roads environment. You will be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility through to detailed design and construction.
• Leading technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
• Deriving potential solutions by using your excellent analytical skills to solve engineering problems and applying engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• Overseeing completion of designs and the production and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
• Developing staff through on the job technical training and mentoring.
• Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships with Clients, which can secure repeat business.
• Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
• Assisting with / preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
• Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
• Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
• Incorporated or Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE or CIHT, or able to demonstrate that this will be achieved in an agreed and appropriate timescale.
• Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Transport Scotland and major Contractors.
• Ability to contribute to bids and tenders.
• Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
• Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
• Commercial awareness and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
• Knowledge of project governance and processes for Transport Scotland and Local Authorities.
• Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
• Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across several engineering and environmental disciplines.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• Awareness of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
• Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
• Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and engineering technicians and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations.
• Ability to contribute to bids and tenders
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days’ additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.