3 months ago
Title : Regional Project Controls Lead Scotland
Requisition ID :2019-36946
Work Location :GB-Lanarkshire-Glasgow
Department / Discipline : Project Management
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Project Controls Manager to join our growing Planning and Controls team, within our Programme and Project Solutions (PPS) business in our Glasgow office. Established as part of our Environment & Infrastructure (E&IS) business, PPS provides Programme and Project Management solutions as an external consultancy service to a wide range of markets and sectors. We are expanding our capability in Scotland and this role is key to its growth. This is an exciting opportunity be part of and shape a newly developing team.
This is a dual role with both business management, SME and service line leadership responsibilities. We are looking for an experienced PCM to join PPS Planning and Controls to support its growth and service provision to both external clients and internal projects across the wider business. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this could be the opportunity for you.
The principle objectives of this role are to lead and grow Woods E&IS Project Controls capabilities and teams within this region (Scotland), with the aim of growing the professional services business (Project and Programme Services) in line with the vison of the PPS Director and Head of Project Controls.
The Regional Leads and Head of Project Controls form the senior leadership for the Project Controls profession across Wood’s Environment and Infrastructure Europe business and are responsible for all areas of its direction, success and growth.
This role is being advertised in conjunction with similar roles to lead established teams across the remainder of the UK.
Prime Responsibilities and Duties
The successful applicant will be required to utilise their broader Project Controls and team management skills to lead the regional team. The Regional Project Controls Team Lead will have responsibility for the day to day management of the Project Controls team in their region, they will have responsibility for line management, team development and deployment of resource. They will also be contributing to, or leading on, locally lead sub-national bids, and providing senior resource support and SME to live project delivery.
The second aspect of this role focuses on their professional specialism. As a Planning and Controls SME the successful candidates will be required to share their subject matter expertise nationally. Owning process, procedure, industry best practice, lessons learned and establishing or contributing to a CoP to share knowledge and drive professionalism within the Environment and Infrastructure Planning community.
Successful candidate will be based in Glasgow, but required to travel regionally and nationally as per role and project needs.
Skills / Qualifications
Management Skills, Knowledge and Experience
* Proven experience of motivating people, understanding strengths and weaknesses to achieve a high performing team
* Confident communicator and influencer of stakeholders
* Ability to identify, address and resolve differences between individuals and/or interest groups
* Strong facilitation skills
* Experience of providing consultancy services to clients including client relationship development, bidding, commercial management and conflict resolution
* Experience in preparing bids for professional services
* Commercial management of services to clients
* Strategic thinker and ability to solve complex problems
Technical Skills, Knowledge and Experience
A broad and generalist knowledge of Project Controls, at a level where you are capable of leading the discipline. Fully conversant in controls specialisms:
* Cost Management
* Planning and Schedule Management
* Risk Management
* Quality Management
* Related PMO services
* Project Delivery
* WBS development and alignment to project/programme structures.
* Experience of preparing and maintaining definitions of the requirements of projects and/or programmes
* Knowledge of approaches for the preparation and maintenance of schedules of project and/or programme activities and events, taking account of dependencies and resource requirements
* Developing and agreeing budgets for projects and/or programmes and managing actual and forecast costs against them
* Identifying and monitoring project and/or programme and/or portfolio risks (threats and opportunities), planning and implementing responses to them and responding to other issues that might affect the project and/or programme and/or portfolio
* Developing, maintaining and applying quality management processes for project and/or programme and/or portfolio activities and outputs
* Consolidating and documenting the fundamental components of projects and/or programmes and/or portfolios (scope, schedule, resource requirements, budgets, risks, issues and quality)
* Planning and controlling finances of programmes and/or portfolios as a means of driving performance and as part of the organisation’s overall financial management
* Establishing, and implementing where necessary, protocols to change the scope of projects and/or programmes and/or portfolios, and updating configuration documents as required
* Identifying, defining, evaluating, planning, tracking and realising the business benefits of programmes (and/or the projects within them)
* Establishing and maintaining governance arrangements for the delivery of projects and/or programmes and/or portfolios, defining clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities that align with organisational practice
* Identifying and/or developing frameworks and methodologies for the comprehensive and consistent management of projects and/or programmes and/or portfolios
* The ability to gather independent assurance of the validity of project and/or programme and/or portfolios, and that the project and/or programme and/or portfolio is likely to achieve its aims
* Recommending how financial and other resources should be allocated amongst projects, programmes and portfolios to optimise the organisation’s return on investment (for portfolio management offices only)
* Proven track record in the successful delivery of programme or project controls for infrastructure projects from initiation to completion.
* Experience in the development of integrated project baselines and tracking / controlling performance to achieve delivery of projects to time and within budget.
* Experience in the implementation and management of programme/project controls software for scheduling, cost management, risk management and performance reporting
* Experience in the development of project business case and the evaluation of options to satisfy project requirements
* Experience in contract preparation and procurement of service providers, in particular design and technical services and construction contracts
* Experience in the administration of professional services and construction contracts, contract change and valuation of payments
* Knowledge of approaches to determining the best means of satisfying requirements within the context of project objectives and constraints i.e. developing solutions
* Knowledge of value management and value engineering techniques
* Experience of procurement and contract administration using NEC3 suite of contracts
Qualifications and Accreditations
* Degree level or equivalent in an engineering, building, quantity surveying, science or business subject
* Membership of appropriate professional institution
* Post graduate qualification appropriate to infrastructure project management
* Project Management qualification, for example PRINCE2, APM PMQ (APMP) or RPP
* Membership of Association for Project Management or Project Management Institute
* Programme / Project controls qualifications – scheduling, risk management
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.