26 days ago
Hinkley Point C, Permanent, Competitive Salary & Benefits
A career that will deliver change. Together, we’ll help Britain achieve net zero.
Advert closing date: 7th May 2021
Be part of one of the most exciting and challenging projects within EDF, as we continue to lead the rebirth of nuclear in the UK.
At Hinkley Point C (HPC) we are building two new nuclear reactors (European Pressurised Water Reactor-EPR), the first in a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK providing low carbon electricity for around six million homes.
Marking a significant milestone in the revitalisation of our nuclear power industry, HPC will make a major contribution to the UK’s move to reduce carbon emissions.
We require a diverse team of dedicated professionals to continue our energy journey.
To ensure we have the right people, in the right place, at the right, we are seeking a diverse team of dedicated, motivated, committed and determined people for Reactor Operator roles, within the Operations Department at HPC Power Station.
As a Reactor Operator, you will work in the Main Control Room be responsible for the safe operation of a nuclear power plant, working in accordance with all licenses, regulating bodies, company business strategies and industry best practices.
Following successful completion of the training programme Reactor Operators will be responsible for monitoring and control of the plant systems and you will become part of a Main Control Room shift team. The training programme will take 18 -24 months to complete (depending on experience levels). The training programme consists of the following:
• Simulator training
• Classroom training
• On job training
Once trained and during the commissioning phase of the project other responsibilities include:
• Providing operational leadership to commissioning activities
• Providing operational support to commissioning activities
• Opportunities will also exist in wider commissioning activities (plant based)
• Opportunities to become a Senior Authorised Person following training (plant based)
• Developing and Implementing operational procedures and documentation
• Determine and develop training needs for future operations staff
During operational phases, other responsibilities will include:
• Provide operational leadership and set high operational standards for HPC
• Raise operational concerns, explain their importance to plant operation and oversee that issues are addressed in a time commensurate with their importance
• Monitor equipment and system performance closely to detect changes in performance early
• Control plant evolutions precisely
• Operate the plant in accordance with procedures and with a conservative bias
• Work well as a team and communicate effectively
• Have a detailed knowledge and understanding of plant design, system and component interactions and applicable theoretical or engineering principles (initial and continuing training will be delivered)
• Play an active role in the management of work process and provide the right input to ensure the work planning organisation can develop an operationally focused schedule
The selection process will consist of a telephone interview, a face to face interview and an assessment in the HPC Main Control Room simulator.
Start dates; Q1 2022
We are seeking enthusiastic individuals, with a strong focus on safety to operate the next generation of nuclear power stations at HPC.
Nuclear Safety is our number one priority. You will therefore need to be able to demonstrate this in all your duties, acting as a role model for those around you, with the ability to carry out the role in a calm and professional manner.
You will be someone who is organised, self-motivated with a positive attitude and be able to motivate others on a journey to excellence. You will need drive a sense of ownership and be able to show innovation to improve performance and deliver business plan objectives. You will need to be able to work collaboratively in a diverse team and be willing to mentor and support others.
You will have a drive and passion for continuous improvement, be committed to developing systems and processes to shape the operations of the future. You will have proven analytical skills and problem solving skills.
You will possess a level of literacy in order to document and understand technical information. You will be able to work in a safety-focused environment.
As a minimum, applicants will have a relevant HNC/D (or equivalent).
Candidates with a relevant degree (Engineering, Science, Mathematics etc.) would be desirable.
Additional skills/behaviours include:
• Can Communicate with clarity, confidence and sense of direction
• Able to maintain good situational awareness
• Able to work collaboratively with other people
• Decisiveness and quick thinking and also be able to form calm collective decisions based on different situations
• The ability to remain calm and professional at all times
• The ability to understand technical information and understand plant systems and how they interact with other systems
• The ability to follow procedures
• The ability to use Human Performance skills effectively (specific training provided)
• Be willing to professional challenge team members appropriately
• Be willing to welcome and accept challenge from other team members
• Be able to describe and discuss technical information clearly to a diverse audience
• Be willing to continually learn and develop
• Be willing to seek opportunities for improvement
Competitive Salary & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including a pension scheme, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn bonus.
Please let us know if you require flexible working arrangements by highlighting this on your application. We’re happy to talk flex in line with the requirements of this opportunity.
We’re an inclusive, disability confident employer and recognise the importance of employee well-being.
We’re about the people who work with us and we celebrate their diversities and embrace the value that their differences bring. We believe that a culture of inclusion forms the basis of a truly sustainable business and is vital to shaping a strong and fresh-thinking organisation, with a number of employer networks and benefits to suit your lifestyle.
We're proud to be the UK's largest producer of low-carbon electricity. We believe that, together, we can create a cleaner, low-carbon future.
Through innovation, dedication, and a firm commitment to electric and renewable energy – we believe we can change everyone’s future for the better.
Join us. Generation Electric. Everyone’s welcome.