11 months ago
Requisition ID: 220600
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, procurement, construction and project companies in the world. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Today, we team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
The Rail Testing and Commissioning Manager is responsible for providing subject matter expert input, direction, and support to Bechtel’s Rail projects. This may involve input throughout a project, through bid phase, into the initial phases of the project, ensuring a consistent set-up and foundation for Testing and Commissioning, and later supporting in an audit, support and advisory capacity. This can involve at times spending the majority of the time on single projects to get through specific or mobilizing to projects full-time to support through the full lifecycle. Responsible for all Rail testing and commissioning activities. The individual must be able to;
* make authoritative decisions and recommendations that have a far-reaching impact on related activities of the Global Business Unit, Project or Function;
* negotiate major issues with top-level engineers and officers of client companies;
* demonstrate accountability for the quality of startup services and the timely and profitable completion of commissioning activities on projects;
* be responsible to ensure that T&C personnel review and provide input to projects during the design phase for safety and operability;
* share responsibility and participates when requested in the business development efforts by providing technical support and developing new business
* make day-to-day decisions within assigned area and makes recommendations to senior management regarding policy and procedure;
* take responsibility for an assigned area or project for review of project designs and recommendation of changes to design so that projects are safe and operable;
* understand technical risks and develop and communicate plans for their mitigations;
* plan and control the assimilation of information such as test records and certificates to form handover packages to the client;
* demonstrate grasp of safety-critical issues associated with energization and train-movement hazards in the rail testing and commissioning environment; and,
* participate in cross-functional activities and meetings such as risk and value management workshops, schedule reviews, constructability review etc.
Job Responsibilities include:
* Reports to and supports activities of the Global Rail Sector Lead, and Infrastructure Manager of Commissioning & Operations in active Rail projects and prospects around the world.
* Directs and monitors assigned startup and/or facility operations efforts.
* Directs the formulation of and recommends policies, procedures, plans and programs for the startup and facility operations department, commensurate with overall organization objectives.
* Directs the formulation and recommends an annual overhead budget and conducts operations within approved budget limits.
* Reviews and approves internal organization and startup staff assignments.
* Directs and conducts project assessments and reviews to ensure procedural compliance and the project readiness to safely execute major events and milestones.
* Approves assignments of Startup Engineers to new projects after consultation with the client, the Project Manager, and sponsoring organization management.
* Keeps abreast of technological developments and trends in startup and operating services that could lead to new applications or new markets for the organization.
* Participates in project planning sessions at the proposal stage to provide technical guidance information.
* Reviews and approves man-hour estimates for all assigned startup and operating services activities.
* Participates, as required, in engineering and construction reviews, management reviews of proposals and client contract negotiations, including final pricing of proposals, providing counsel and information about the projects’ technical feasibility and the project startup workload.
* Counsels the Startup Engineer/Startup Manager to ensure that new plants function according to specifications.
* Directs the implementation of training policies within the department.
* Ensures that startup is adequately represented in appropriate technical and professional societies as an aid in business development and to maintain professional competence
* Supports projects on a part-time basis for the creation and implementation of Testing and Commissioning plans within the rail sector.
* Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, construction management or related field with 17 years of experience in electrical Or in lieu of Bachelor’s degree 24 years of relevant working experience.
* Experience for managing Startup Department operations and overseeing testing, commissioning and operations activities as a GBU Manager of T&C for a global business unit or as Project T&C Manager for one or more very large or complex projects, or a major project on which there are unique problems in the schedule, finance, construction or design.
* Experience in managing Startup Department operations and overseeing testing, commissioning and operations activities as Central Functions Manager of Startup or as a GBU Manager of Startup for a large global business unit.
* Extensive technical knowledge of startup and plant operations methods and practices, calculations, applications of engineering methods, and general applications of computers to engineering problems.
* Knowledge of industry and regulatory standards and design criteria in all the areas of startup.
* Extensive knowledge of administrative practices.
* Skill in negotiation for dealing with clients.
* The above is normally acquired through:
* A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, from an accredited college or university, or A professional license in an engineering discipline from a recognized licensing board
* Extensive progressive work experience including supervisory experience at a management level preferably in startup and plant operations, but maybe in allied phases of engineering including design, field construction, or plant operation in large utility, process, or industrial facilities.
A. Supervision Received
* Receives general administrative supervision and policy guidance from Central Functions Manager and/or GBU Senior Management.
B. Supervision Exercised
* Supervises Startup Managers, Startup Engineers and startup staff.
* Handles client contacts and startup inquiries. Maintains good relations with senior levels of client management in the interest of business development.
* Maintains close working relationship with engineering and construction management to ensure the requirements from startup are met.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.