7 months ago
Title : Radiation Materials Consultant
Requisition ID :2018-30851
Work Location :GB-Oxfordshire-Harwell
Department / Discipline : Scientists
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
We are looking for an enthusiastic scientist to join the Radiation Materials Team based at Harwell near Oxford.
The successful candidate will investigate the effects of radiation on a variety of materials, radioactive waste simulants and plant components focusing on polymeric materials, long-term performance and electronics. The role involves utilising our specialist Co-60 gamma radiation facility to support solutions for the real world challenges of our customers whilst providing support for other projects in the areas of radioactive waste management and decommissioning. The position provides an excellent opportunity for those wishing to develop their career in a technically and commercially challenging business.
Wood is committed to the continuing professional development of our staff. You will have excellent opportunities to progress by furthering your technical and project management capabilities and broadening into the wider interests of our company.
About Wood Nuclear:
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment
Work on a range of consultancy projects for a variety of customers in areas such as radioactive waste management, decommissioning, new build, equipment/materials manufacturing, defence and aerospace, both in the UK and overseas. The job role will comprise a wide variety of activities including:
* Developing technical solutions to solve customer problems.
* Designing experiments, identifying novel approaches to assess changes in material characteristics.
* Use of predictive models for lifetime management of polymeric components.
* Reviewing and assimilating data/information from a diverse range of sources.
* Authoring high quality technical reports and supporting documentation.
* Interactions with, and presentations to customers.
* Coordinating and liaising with suppliers and subcontractors.
* Promote and adhere to the highest levels of health and safety practice.
* Supporting the team with business development activities.
* Delivering work to agreed timescales and cost.
Skills / Qualifications
* Bachelor or Masters degree (2:1 or higher), in a materials/physical science or engineering discipline with a materials focus.
* Relevant PhD welcome but not strictly required.
* A good technical understanding of radiation effects in materials, with an emphasis on polymers an advantage.
* Specific experience in working with/testing polymers also welcome.
* Willing to work at a gamma irradiation facility and obtain the required classified worker status.
* Numerate with excellent technical writing skills.
* A self-starter, flexible, innovative and keen to develop skills.
* Able to work on a number of projects in parallel, prioritising as appropriate.
* Working effectively in both multi-disciplinary teams and independently.
* Obtaining appropriate security clearance is a requirement of this role.
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.