about 1 year ago
Quantity Surveyor - Construction - Bedford
Irvine-Whitlock operates as a building contractor in the United Kingdom. We specialise in brickwork; natural and reconstituted stonework, including hand set and prefabricated panels; block-work, including thin joint systems; terracotta and stone rain screen systems; volcanic lava cladding systems; design engineering solutions and general building activities.
We also provide design, specification, programming, on-site management and quality control services. The company was founded in 1963 and is based in Bedford, United Kingdom. Irvine-Whitlock is a subsidiary of Hanson UK.
Purpose of / Responsibilities of the role
Overall responsibility for the quantity surveying function and commercial performance of all allocated contracts, including maximising working capital at a contract level.
The role involves the commercial control of individual and group client related projects to provide a single point of contact with clients. Reporting directly to the Managing Director, supervising subordinate surveyors and liaising with Construction
Directors and Contract Managers to provide effective and ongoing commercial advice to maximise performance.
Internal and external customer and market management
* Have quantitative and qualitative market understanding
* Foresee and act to meet customer needs
* Drive customer/supplier relations
* Demonstrate service orientation
Performance and result management
* Increase efficiency and quality
* Demonstrate cost discipline
* Drive profit generation
* Optimise allocation of resources
* Execute tasks and focus on fast implementation
* Manage subordinates' performance
* Build and retain talent and develop people
* Enable teamwork
* Align and inspire teams
Decisiveness and adaptability
* Be straight forward and goal orientated
* Demonstrate drive and initiative
Description of Team / Department
Working with a team of 5 QS's
Skills / Experience
Managing Group Client
cost control- carry out full surveying function for group client project. Liaising with opposite senior commercial staff providing single point of contact for all projects within group client control.
Reconciliations – prepare and present monthly cost value reports on all projects within personal control to Managing Director
Cost monitoring – to keep regular checks on contract costing and liaise with subordinate surveyors, contract managers and construction directors to provide feedback and early warning so any corrective action can be implemented.
Attend handover meetings for new projects – Monitor new projects, prepare cash-flow forecasts, checking opportunities and risks.
Final accounts- negotiation and agreement of final accounts, subcontractor accounts.
Productivity - monitoring – set price work rates, monitor bonus related work.
Placing main material and subcontract orders –preparing tender documents, requisitions etc and reviewing quotes to secure optimum bids.
Training – Make recommendations for further in house and external training. Attend courses as directed to ensure continual professional development
Excellent Remuneration and Benefits
* Ongoing training and development and opportunities to help further your career.
* A comprehensive structured induction programme.
* Experience within a well-respected global market leader.
* Pension with generous contributions from Hanson.
* 24/7 access to an online employee discount platform. Save money on everything from groceries, electronics, fashion, holidays and much more.
* Benefits supporting you and your family, such as Cycle to work and voluntary Life assurance.
Full Time / Part Time: full time
Working Hours: 42.50 hrs
Contract Type: Permanent
Shift Description: Mon - Fri
Company Vehicle: car