about 1 month ago
Quantity Surveyor position in our M4 Energy business unit to provide commercial support to the project team. The project consists of the design, supply, installation, testing and commissioning works and the position will be based from our site offices near Weston Super Mare. The main contract with the client is NEC3 Option A, with a number of various stepped down Subcontracts requiring management and reporting duties.
Roles and Responsibilities
* Encourage and develop a culture of commercial awareness within the team
* Ensure the site team adheres to group procedures and governance
* Development, motivation & performance management of junior staff
* Delegation of appropriate work to junior staff, whilst maintaining accountability
* Preparation of internal commercial reporting and any other reports which may be required
* Preparation of Valuations/Application for payment with full supporting documentation in accordance with the contract
* Preparation of Cost Reports to the Client with contractually compliant supporting documentation
* Preparation and management of subcontract and material procurement schedules
* Administration of subcontractor/supplier accounts from the preparation of detailed requisitions, monitoring and authorisation of subcontract payments through to agreement of final accounts
* Undertake the contract administration, including change management and maintain associated registers
* Identifying commercial risks, opportunities, value engineering and change
* Challenge & manage in cost control / cost mitigation
* Ensure the correct site records are maintained
* Implement a WBS structure to satisfy the Client & Contract requirements
* Have an up to date Cost to Complete and Risk analysis Register for the projects(s)
* Preparation, negotiation and agreement of change events, extension of time claims, final accounts etc
* Measurement of quantities in accordance with the standard methods of measurement as required
* Ensure appropriate Client Management is initiated and maintained
* Drafting of complex subcontract arrangement including professional services & appropriate terms of engagement
* Identification and advice upon of insurance related issues, including PI
* Maximising of cash position, including WIP control, cash flow production & improvement plans
* Maintain / assist in the production of the margin improvement plan on the project
* Assist in work winning duties as required, including technical writing for PQQ responses
* Undertake any other work as required of you by your line manager
* Attend client engagement events for equivalent level customer feedback
* Involvement in Business Improvement Initiatives
Qualifications / Experience / Personal Attributes
* Degree qualification
* CSCS (White / Gold Card)
* Registered with RICS / ICES and working towards chartership
* Full driving licence
* Commercially astute.
* Good communication skills including presentations and ability to negotiate and persuade others.
* Programming techniques, project controls, risk analysis, contract admin, procurement, cost, claims.
* Commercially astute with substantial proven experience within a commercial role in the Construction Industry.
* Expert knowledge of Standard Forms of Contract and Standard Methods of Measurement.
* Understanding of programming techniques and project controls.
* Leadership Skills. Computer literate with strong skills in Microsoft Office Applications (Word/Excel/Outlook/PowerPoint)
* Assess information within normal areas of responsibility; question evidence and findings in order to highlight and communicate issues.
* Makes considered analysis of data in order to assess risk and gains and make viable conclusions.
* Listen attentively and adopt appropriate styles to ensure understanding. Others should relate to them with ease. Ensure business goals are communicated throughout the team. Run effective team meetings ensuring contribution from all group members.
* Be aware that customer and supplier standards must be met within time and cost constraints. Have a thorough awareness of customer’s needs and opportunities.
* See change as an opportunity and identify barriers to change and look to bring people on board.
* Demonstrate a rational approach to decision making, assessing data within laid down guidelines; Discuss problems / issues and suggest possible solutions. Identify root causes of problems and apply a variety of methods to find solutions.
* Be able to work systematically within clear guidelines / set goals and strive to achieve required results consistently. Set clear and appropriate goals which focus on project and wider business targets.
* Identify potential in others. Motivate others to take responsibility for their personal development. Develop team capabilities and remove barriers to employee development.
* Lead and motivate others from the front and continually strive to improve performance. Give recognition for good performance.
* Be willing and have the desire to improve on current situations. Create an environment that promotes new ideas which add value to the organisation.
* Be clear what needs to be achieved and how to direct resources toward strategic and commercial priorities. Be able to step back from detail to take an overview of complex situations, while maintaining long-term perspective. Translate business goals into clear team and individual objectives.
* Treat people at all levels with respect and show that you value the contributions of others.
* Show a strength of character with senior peers and champion the function.
General (All Staff)
* Participate in, and positively promote, the Murphy Culture Development Culture (leading to Zero Harm)
* Manage the performance of all staff assigned to you in accordance with legislation and company procedures. • Undertake any reasonable duties expected of you.
* Attend and engage fully in any learning and development activities that are deemed appropriate
* Carry out all work in accordance with health and safety and any other legal requirements.
* Participate in team/business meetings as necessary.
* Participate and engage fully in company appraisal/performance review processes and constantly work to improve your individual, your team and the wider group’s performance.
This job description is not intended to be exclusive or exhaustive. It is an outline indication of the areas of activity and may be amended to reflect the changing needs of the organisation.