5 months ago
Job number: UK12358
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Commercial
Region/State: South East
Position type: Full Time
Job type: Permanent
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor to join our Highways team to work across the M4 Motorway, Reading.
A Quantity Surveyor has a number of years’ experience in managing all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects. They will be supporting other more senior members of the commercial team in delivering the varied commercial duties as well as being responsible for procuring and managing our supply chain. They actively seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality for our Customers. Typically a QS will be chartered or in the final stages of achieving professional membership of the RICS, ICES or CIOB and will be a peer role model for those less experienced members of the commercial team.
What you'll be doing
As a Quantity Surveyor, your main accountabilities will be as follows:
Analytical Thinking & Decision Making
* Orders information and systematically checks data
* Measure, record & value work unsupervised in accordance with appropriate rules and procedures
* Measure & interpret specifications & drawings
* Build up estimates from first principle including net and gross estimates
* Translate measurement from drawings and Specifications and prepare Bills of Quantities and Schedules of rates
* Review weekly, monthly, section programmes of works
* Plan commercial activities to meet requirements of section programmes
* Have an understanding of delay and disruption programmes
* Use the company’s ERP System
* Collation of Cost and Value Information
* Preparation of Cost reconciliation statements
* Collect information required to specify procurement requirements
* Record and document information including registration of interest
* Understand the steps / documentation required
* Collation of cost and value information
* Measurement of works and agreements with subcontractors
Development, Recruitment and Retention
* Maintain a Personal Development Plan
* Supports the development of others
* Working towards professional membership from the RICS, ICES or CIOB
Who we're looking for
The following qualifications are essential:
* BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
* Achievement Focus (Achieving Results)
* Previous Commercial Work experience
* Industry knowledge
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.