9 months ago
Job description/Person specification
The Role: Level 3, Advanced Mechanical Manufacturing Apprenticeship – Shoeburyness 2018
Do you want to be one of the best? Do you want to be one of over 6,000 dedicated people providing technological and scientific expertise.
As a Level 3 Advanced Manufacturing Apprentice you are the future of QinetiQ. This four year apprenticeship will entail you learning from the best in the business and enable you to develop your skills to reach your potential. As well as gaining an academic qualification, you will learn on the job within a friendly and encouraging workplace.
What you will gain from the Apprenticeship
• Nationally recognised qualification
• Earn whilst you learn
• You will gain knowledge, skills and behaviours that will enable you to become a competent engineer
• Competitive salary
• A standard 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
• 1 day paid a year to be used for volunteering activities
• The option to purchase additional benefits
• Access to our Wellbeing Service, this is a confidential life management and personal support service, which offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.
The 4 year, Level 3 Engineering Technician, Advanced Manufacturing Standard will give you the practical skills and knowledge needed to maintain a range of equipment, as well as preparing you for the workplace with functional skills and competencies required for a future career within QinetiQ.
On completion of the apprenticeship , you will be able to carry out the following activities and know how to:
• understand mathematical techniques, formula and calculation involved in the machining processes such as speeds and feeds, calculating angles/tapers, material removal
• understand the practical and theoretical uses of the machines used, and their applications.
• understand the work-holding devices, cutting tools, and setting up procedures, in adequate depth to provide a sound basis for carrying out the activities, correcting faults and ensuring the work output is to the required specification
• read and interpret relevant data and documentation used to produce machined components
• determine the most efficient and effective approach to machine the component using a range of tools, machining process and Techniques
• select and set up the correct tooling and work holding devices
• set and adjust the machine operating parameters to produce the work pieces to the required specification. This will involve setting feeds and speeds for roughing and finishing operations
• select and use a range of measuring and testing equipment to check components are to the required quality and accuracy
• produce complex and specialist components as a one off test and trial work piece and/or producing components in small or large batches
• contribute to the business by identifying possible opportunities for improving working practices, processes and/or procedures
Closing date for applications: 16th March 2018
Start date: 3rd September 2018
To apply please upload your CV and covering letter (no more than 300 words) detailing why you want to be considered for an apprenticeship within QinetiQ
QinetiQ who are we?
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
A minimum of 5 GCSE Grades A*-C/9 – 4 or equivalent including Maths, English Language, Science and preferably ICT is required.
The on the job training will be delivered at QinetiQ, MoD Shoeburyness, Southend- on- Sea, Essex. SS3 9SR and the Apprenticeship Standard Training will be delivered at our QinetiQ Apprentice Training School, MoD Boscombe Down, Salisbury. SP4 0JF. You must be able to live away from home whilst you are undertaking your training at the Apprentice Training School.
These roles will require the holder to be able to obtain full security clearance. To gain clearance you will normally have had to have been a resident in the UK for a minimum of 5 years, regardless of nationality.
You must declare any special requirements needed to undertake tests for the interview stages