6 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
As a Project Manager, you will join our engineering department and specifically our Oil and Gas discipline helping to contribute towards its continuing success.
The Manchester and Glasgow based Oil and Gas teams sit within the Energy Division of the company and specialises in providing high quality technical consultancy and advice to both governmental and private sector clients, involving project planning, due diligence and design issues relating to fuel supplies for power generation, natural gas transmission, distribution and storage systems. In addition we provide technical consultancy on natural gas related infrastructures associated with Residential, Retail, Industrial and Commercial Developments, both in the UK and overseas.
Currently the team encompasses staff grades ranging from Chief Engineer to Graduate Engineer and the team sits alongside other specialist engineering discipline teams and shared resources across the engineering teams in Manchester, Newcastle and Guilford.
A typical week would include:
To work within the Oil and Gas discipline, reporting to the Project Director, to project manage various projects within the Oil, Gas and Utilities sector.
* Lead, supervise and project manage the successful delivery of multi discipline Oil and Gas projects.
* Ensure that projects are delivered in accordance with the contract to the satisfaction of the client.
* Ensure that relevant Health and Safety risks are identified, made known to the project team and properly managed.
* Ensure projects are delivered in line with programme, quality and margin.
* Proactively manage risk within assigned projects by identification of threats and opportunities to the business and offering appropriate mitigation.
* Actively develop external and internal client relationships.
* Manage and support the project team ensuring that appropriate resources are utilised on projects to the satisfaction of the client and business needs.
* Complete and conform to internal procedures including financial status reports, project reviews and risk register.
* Complete project planning and scheduling ensuring that any deviations are identified and confirmed with the client in a timely manner.
* Ensure active management of any subcontractors and resources remote from the core project team.
* Ensure that technical risks are identified and mitigated
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* Strong project management expertise (including formal techniques for planning, monitoring and controlling projects).
* Bachelor Degree or equivalent in relevant technical or business discipline.
* Extensive experience in Oil and Gas projects, knowledge of various types of contract models and delivery vehicles.
* Understand both the needs of the client and the business when delivering a major project with a focus on margin and contract compliance.
* Commercial awareness and financial control of projects. Contractual awareness and full understanding of programmes and scheduling. A commitment to project delivery and success.
* Prepared to travel as projects dictate.
* Proven ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships and effective channels of communication in a pressurised and highly time sensitive environment.
* Experience of leading and motivating multi-discipline project teams.
The team requires a "self-starter" who possesses the drive, enthusiasm and flexibility to meet the demands of the role. Candidates must be able to take responsibility and be accountable for your their own workload and manage resources across multiple projects.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.