8 months ago
Today's computing world is built on customer data - data is fundamental to every customer, whether it is in their Datacentres attached to their private Servers, or in private or public Clouds. Having access to your data where you want, how you want and when you want has never been more important. This is your chance to join a team making that possible.
Why join IBM Storage Development
Work for the world leader in Storage Virtualisation, High Performance Flash Storage Arrays and one of the world's most trusted Information Technology brands
Develop & deliver state-of-the-art software to thousands of customers around the world - data storage is a fundamental component of all e-commerce and cloud environments.
Accept the challenge of building the highest performance and most reliable data management systems on the planet
Work with a international team, with a culture centred on success
Competitive compensation and benefit package
Substantial opportunity for career growth
The position is available at IBM's largest UK Development Lab in Hursley, Hampshire. The team has a long history of successful innovation, including the world's first Storage Virtualisation Data Storage Subsystems and have been number 1 in the TPC 1 Storage Benchmarking League Table on numerous occasions. Currently the group is responsible for the award winning range of Spectrum Virtualize storage software and devices (Storwize V7000 & V5000, Spectrum Virtualize (SAN Volume Controller) and Flashsystem V9000 & 9100). These products combine many leading edge technologies (including Linux, virtualisation, real time, highly available, highly reliable clustering, automatic management of storage tiering based on Analytic Analysis and Artificial Intelligence, Fibre Channel, Fibre Channel over Ethernet, iSCSI, NVME, Flash technology to name but a few) to deliver highly reliable storage services to many thousands of customers worldwide.
What the Role Involves:
Our engineers get involved in every step of the product lifecycle from requirements gathering with sponsor users all the way through development and field support. If you join us, you'll be working with a dedicated group focussed on ensuring our customer are delighted with our innovative solutions to their complex problems. You may be involved in architecting, design and writing complex, real time, clustered software or embedding our software in new hardware storage platforms. You could be also be involved with embedding our storage technology in Private, Public or Hybrid Clouds. Or you could be involved in validating the quality of this software and hardware. You might also be involved in ensuring that we develop and test these products with the very latest Devops tools and techniques, using Agile and Continuous Integration techniques. Equally you could be involved in showing customers how to make the most of these innovative systems or dealing with issues that customers experience when using these products. As a globally integrated agile team opportunities frequently arise to work directly with IBM sales/account teams and customers, both in the Lab and on customer sites locally and internationally. This helps us better understand the needs of our clients and increase our competitive advantage.
We are looking for a capable, clear thinking, passionate, motivated individual. Direct experience of developing storage products is not essential. We would expect candidates to have the following:
* A minimum of 2:1 honours degree (or equivalent), or a postgraduate qualification – in any discipline
* Experience working as a hardware technical project manager within a product development team.
* Passion for technology and developing future products and features
* Demonstrated track record of problem solving, clear thinking and process improvement
* Attention to detail - need to manage lots of abstract detail in an accurate way. Good record keeping is essential.
* Excellent teamwork - need to work well with colleagues in multiple departments across multiple countries and establish strong working relationships with them
* Strong verbal and written communication - need to clearly and accurately communicate on conference calls, in e-mails, and in one to ones with colleagues, both within IBM and with external vendors.
* Ability to work on multiple workstreams concurrently
* Ability to create schedules, including the ability to size individual work items so that a precise overall schedule can be put together
* Must be authorised to work in the UK.
Background: experience of the following would be highly advantageous:
* the types of compliance testing a hardware product undergoes
* knowledge of country specific hardware product certifications
* working as an interface between development and manufacturing organisations
* tools such as excel, project & enovia.