9 months ago
Job number: UK17024
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, North West, Wirral
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Project Engineer to join our BB Kilpatrick team to work in Bromborough.
* To support the overall implementation of the engineering strategy and framework for the manufacturing facility and designated projects, as well as working with the project teams to develop innovative off-site solutions for products that can be assembled, or part-assembled away from the site
* Responsible for operational delivery/ manufacturing to support projects, ensuring that production and financial targets are achieved, and products/ projects are delivered in the right way using Balfour Beatty standard processes
* The role will coordinate activities and collaborate with other similar roles within Balfour Beatty and adopt a coherent approach to off-site activities
* Build and maintain customer relationships during delivery in line with business targets and expectations
* BBK are sector focussed and put their customer first. The successful applicant will have responsibility for delivering several product ranges including Ductwork, M&E Modules, Loose Fabricated Parts, Skids and Pipework. Moreover the role will assist in delivering products developed with sustainability and long-term defect free operation as a key aspect for products leaving the factory
What you'll be doing
As a Project Engineer, your main responsibilities are as follows:
* Support the senior project team in the overall implementation of the engineering strategy and framework for the designated DfMA project
* Manage materials, plant and labour within the allocated budget and resources, ensuring their safe, effective and efficient delivery of service on the project
* Ensure all systems, design information, procedures and quality systems are effectively communicated
* Support the DfMA project delivery teams, verifying the work of others, providing technical support
* Lead or support assurance on DfMA projects through conducting audits and regular meetings with project teams, identifying best practice, areas for improvement and areas of concern, including matters relating to safety, finance or quality
* Develop and maintain relationships with relevant customers including technical consultants and suppliers, managing their input in the design, development, pricing and delivery of technical solutions on site
* Maintain personal expertise and knowledge to ensure that the company is at the forefront of the industry both technically and in using the latest technologies and standards
* Ensure that the engineering is efficiently managed so that it is fit for purpose from conception right through installation and maintenance; recognising site conditions and constraints and taking into account CDM, other statutory regulations and customer requirements
* Ensure the efficient operation of procurement, material control policies and procedures; providing assistance in producing accurate and current procurement schedules and cost information/reports (where required)
* By using the principles of quality assurance, and where appropriate technical Integrity, ensure the customer requirements are clearly understood and that Quality Control mechanisms are in place that provide assurance that the asset and/or service delivers as designed/required
* Contribute to the accurate and efficient provision of progress and productivity reports weekly and monthly to senior management, in accordance with company procedures
* Provide concise and accurate feedback on project performance against estimate to the estimating function (where required)
* Seek to understand and implement the appropriate digital tool sets to support the project execution
* Lives the Balfour Beatty Behaviours
* Ensures a relentless focus on Zero Harm and Continuous Improvement. Setting targets for lean working within the factory
Who we're looking for
This is a position for an individual with previous experience and track record in mechanical engineering within the MEP market, previous accountability for managing packages of work on projects within the building services/engineering construction market.
The following qualities and experience are essential:
* Up-to-date relevant knowledge of engineering and of industry best practice, appropriate to the relevant discipline, is required
* A degree in a relevant engineering discipline and a relevant professional qualification, such as MICE or MIStructE, or having an ONC/HNC is desirable
* Focused and thorough with the appropriate skills to advise senior management when something needs immediate redress together with the tenacity and drive to ensure that the necessary action is taken
* Previous management experience within the construction or relevant support services industries, together with a strong understanding of technical issues and trends in the relevant sectors, including specialist markets is required
* Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners and delivery team members under time pressure, and a customer centric, flexible approach
* A desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on engineering excellence, the customer and the business is required
* An understanding of BIM and how to read and assemble BIM models
and produce appropriate reports from them is desirableA self-starter who manages their own time and seeks to add value in a timely and efficient manner, paying attention to detail and seeing things through to completion
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
* Has a solid understanding of DfMA/Offsite Manufacturing and the process to take it from concept to delivery
* Has previous experience working in a manufacturing/fabrication environment
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We deliver flexible civil engineering and construction services from regional hubs and UK-wide local delivery units, aligned to chosen sectors.
Responsible for close to GBP2 billion of turnover annually, our teams deliver regional and national framework contracts, new builds, refurbishment and fit out across a number of core markets.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.