7 months ago
As the European number one in defence electronics and the world number two in defence radio communications, Thales is a leading name in the global defence and security markets. In addition to equipping over 40 naval forces across the globe, we have a proud 125-year heritage here in the UK. Today that is represented in our key role delivering the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carrier and our provision of advanced radio equipment to all of the Royal Navy’s surface combatants.
Thales has a fantastic opportunity for a Project Design Authority to be part of our bid and project teams within the Electronic Warfare and Radar (EW&R) Business. The primary purpose is responsible for solution creation in preparation for bids and solution compliance across all phases of the systems engineering lifecycle within a project including in Service.
In this role you will work closely with the EW&R Design Authority, Project/Bid Manager and project management team, Systems Engineering Manager and Architect, Regulators, ISR UK Technical Director and the Customer’s technical representatives. This position will suit someone who can self-task and set the technical solutions for a team. You will have the ability to look into the detail on long-term projects that often have a 5 year lifecycle. As the PDA you will be reliable and consistent throughout the projects.
This is a customer facing role; therefore you will be personable and enjoy working with external stakeholders to shape technical solutions. A lot of the bids and projects will be in the Export market, so you will enjoy travelling outside of the UK for days and weeks at a time.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- The PDA guarantees that the technical solution is feasible, competitive and meets customer expectations, in terms of cost, innovation, performance, schedule, etc.
- Acts as the primary technical leader of the bid or project team. Acts as lead technical interface with the Customer (or PLM for a Product).
- Monitor, review, advise and assist with technical issues across the programme.
- Ensures the solution compliance with Product Policy, contractual requirements (including offsets) and applicable legislation & regulations (ie export restrictions, Environmental/HSE, safety, security..)
- Checks that the Engineering Environment (process, practices and tools) for the Solution is consistent with Country/Company requirements, and overall Solution cost, technical risks & schedule.
- Reviews together with the SEM (System Engineering Manager) the technical risks and opportunities and the related mitigation plans throughout the bid or project.
- Prepares the DVa and submits it to the Design Authority (DA) approval.
- Approves the main bid/project engineering reviews and deliverables.
- Organises when appropriate technical meetings and peer reviews together with the Architect (ARC) and the SEM and other stakeholders (industry, services, specialists…), in order to perform the solution technical assessment and validation.
Experience and Skills:
- Radar/Electronic Warfare systems engineering in the maritime/land/air environment.
- Radar/RESM/RECM performance modeling, design, development, integration and trials.
- Preparation of bids for domestic and export customers.
- Deep understanding of digital Radar / EW receiver technology and techniques.
- Experience across the engineering life cycle
- Highly Desirable
- Understanding of wide variety of engineering disciplines (systems, software, hardware, EMC, RF…).
- Experience of certification of Radar/EW systems to customer specifications and managing the customer through this process
- Able to generate innovative solutions including system acceptance and system certification within a competitive environment
- Can understand and design complex systems
- Confident to communicate, guide and lead all disciplines of engineering teams
- Ability to act as technical point of contact for the customer.
Education and Qualifications:
- Engineering/Physics BEng/BSc or equivalent.
Behaviours and Values:
- Displays passion, energy, drive, agility and resilience in achieving work-related goals under difficult circumstances. Enjoys or thrives on developing and performing through teamwork.
- Self-Motivated/Flexible with a constructive 'can do' attitude
- A good problem solver showing initiative and improvisation.
- Able to question / challenge established processes and offer innovative alternatives.
- Demonstrates attention to detail, particularly in investigating problems, and a pride in producing accurate work.
- Must be able to work in a multi-disciplined team environment with Suppliers, Thales employees and Customer present.
- Excellent technical observational and communications skills.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 68,000 employees in 50 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!