4 months ago
Project Data Environment Lead - London
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
We have an ambitious commitment to be the digital leader in the built environment and are investing heavily in our digital transformation. We have digital teams and experts all over the world, who collaborate on world-leading software, data and automation projects and products.
One of our major digital transformation programmes is the Project Data Environment (PDE). This will ensure that Arup owns access to all project data in real-time for all projects; has a real-time record of where this data is stored; maintains access to project data beyond the lifespan of the project; and can use project data to support collaboration, automation and as a source of insight.
We’re now looking for someone to lead this ambitious and important programme in our digital transformation and mature it into a service. Working with engineering teams and business groups, you will sustain and develop the technical environment, including the portfolio of products that support and maintain it, establish the business processes around it and identify and nurture its user base. You’ll need to be comfortable operating in a wide range of domains: from people and organisational change, process improvement, governance through to tools and technology, information and data, and performance metrics. Your work will positively impact productivity and commercial performance of the firm and deliver better outcomes for our clients.
This role is based in Arup’s London office and there may be some travel involved.
The Project Data Environment Lead will have global accountability for developing and establishing an Arup-wide federated PDE, a technical environment that encompasses several digital products and integration with other digital transformation initiatives. You will establish new operating processes and drive forward the adoption of the products to enable Arup to derive value from it. Your focus will be on delivering meaningful changes that impact the business in the short-medium term (now to 3-5yrs). The purpose of the role is to:
· Liaise with business leadership, digital engineering specialists and Digital Technology colleagues to design, develop and promote a holistically designed and dynamic project data environment (PDE) spanning a range of software platforms with data hosted in the cloud and on-premise.
· Product manage the digital products required to drive and support the PDE ecosystem, which includes scaling up some existing products. Understand the needs of users, business, contractual and regulatory requirements and communicate these to the developers to ensure that the products meet those needs. Manage stakeholder expectations and work to ensure consensus on priorities.
· Define and communicate a compelling vision for the products, and their development roadmaps, managing releases with the support of technical colleagues.
· Define and manage the programme of work, provide regular reporting and updates on the overall progress, delivery against roadmap milestones, product adoption and usage.
· Develop programme budgets, costs to date, timelines and resourcing plans.
· Enable the flow of project information, data and metadata from technical software, Office 365 tools, ‘Job drives’ and source systems under the control of Arup, clients and third parties into data repositories so value can be leveraged from the data.
· Facilitate conversations across the company so the right balance is found between enabling productivity and collaboration and managing Arup’s information governance e.g. records management and security risks.
· Establish a global technical environment to copy project data from client to Arup-controlled systems
· Work with Arup Management System, Legal, business leaders and Data Leadership to develop and embed global policies, processes and standards to manage the lifecycle of project information and data at rest e.g. establishing global standards for using the Job drives and global guidance on patterns of use Office 365 tools with BIM platforms and tools
· Contribute to building Arup’s digital engineering capabilities through change management, adoption and providing internal consultancy.
Skills & Experience required
· Strong experience in information management and information architecture. You should be well versed in ways of structuring and categorising information and data across multiple systems, and be familiar with relevant processes, standards and principles.
· Experience of managing multiple products in a technical environment, with evidence of how you have improved the user experience, grown usage throughout the product lifecycle and involved users in product evolution. Your experience should include creating and prioritising backlogs, developing roadmaps and driving adoption.
· Ability to manage global programmes, including governance, stakeholder engagement, cost control, resource and delivery management.
· Working knowledge of the range of technical software used in digital engineering projects, and of the different types of project data produced (Autodesk, Bentley, for example).Proven experience of change management and organisational design in large, global, complex organisations, and of working with distributed teams.
· Good attention to detail and a systematic and methodical approach to problem-solving. You should be able to self-prioritise while working collaboratively with a range of teams and stakeholders.
· Mindset of continuous improvement. You should be able to solve problems, help others to do the same, and have an instinct to share knowledge and skills openly and inclusively.
· Passion for diversity, recognizing the innovation and competitive edge that comes from a diverse highly skilled team where equal opportunities are truly valued
· Ability to engage with internal and external stakeholders, gain their confidence and persuade them to cooperate with initiatives where required.
· Post-graduate qualification in Information Management, or equivalent discipline.
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (engineering, architecture, mathematics, data science for example).
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You’ll have access to a range of flexible working options – whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle - we recognise it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours so if you're interested in flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. You will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to sex, race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. We recognise that not all disabilities are visible and will make reasonable adjustments to cater for diverse applicants in the selection and assessment process.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including a global profit share scheme, excellent staff benefits and long-term career development opportunities.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
Arup. Shaping a better world.
Closing Date: 13th March