10 months ago
Product Performance / Validation Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Pension + Bonus
As part of the Dyson Test Team, you will play an integral part in determining how, when and where we validate new technologies and products to ensure designs are robust to real world conditions and perform better than the competition.
Dyson is a technology company which is forever innovating and looking to develop new and exciting products. To do this we invest heavily in performance and reliability testing, which is carried out 24 hours a day, seven days a week at Dyson so people can get products that work better.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Dyson products are built to last, as well as perform. To do this we invest heavily in performance and reliability testing, building our own machines to test our machines. 24 hours a day, seven days a week we put them through their paces. We analyse data and customer feedback, relentlessly improving product safety, reliability, usability and customer satisfaction. Each generation of Dyson technology must set the benchmark for the next. And with so many new categories on the way, our Global Quality & Reliability team will need to be more inventive than ever. Vital to Dyson’s future technology.
* Become an expert in Dyson product performance, with deep knowledge of both in-house and internationally recognised test standards. These standards are used to assess and support our performance claims, product safety and component & product development.
* Liaise with research, project and marketing teams to identify and develop new and existing methods to assess and improve our designs and technologies.
* Specify, design, build and develop test rigs & facilities alongside test rig architects to enable the required testing.
* Maintain good communication with members of UK and South-East Asian test facilities to ensure testing is undertaken in a robust and efficient manner
* Work with test engineers and technicians for detailed development of test method processes & equipment.
* Work with other members of the test team to prioritise and plan performance test requirements.
* Review test results, manage data and analyse results (including statistical techniques where appropriate).
* Present results, conclusions and advice to project teams, senior managers, marketing and legal team.
* Degree qualified in a relevant engineering, maths or science discipline.
* Fluid dynamics and/or thermodynamics experience.
* Clear, logical thought and attention to detail.
* Good analytical and problem solving ability, capable of assessing technologies and products using a variety of methods.
* Good organisational skills: able to plan ahead & prioritise tasks.
* Good communication and presentation skills. Able to translate and communicate technical information to project & research teams, managers and directors as required.
* Experience in undertaking statistical analysis
* LabVIEW system development.
* Sensor selection, instrumentation and data acquisition.
* Experience in computer programming.
* CAD experience.
* Experience in designing and building mechanical systems.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.