6 months ago
Principal Wireless Technology Consultant (LON0000O8)
: United Kingdom-London-London
Principal Wireless Technology Consultant – London
Would you like to join our Advanced Digital Engineering group in London? We are a centre of excellence and incubator for Arup. We combine advanced digital, engineering, technology, analytics and product expertise to add new value for clients.
We embody Arup’s longstanding commitment to work on the most interesting and innovative projects, to redefine the built environment with our clients.
We are looking for a Principal Wireless Technology Consultant to join our systems, infrastructure & integration consultancy team, which is based within Arup Advanced Digital Engineering. It is a position suitable for someone who is already a consultant or has worked in a pre-sales technical design support or service provider/operator environment.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person with a detailed knowledge and experience of wireless technologies and the industry, with strong interpersonal skills, who can mentor other members of staff. You will act as a technical lead on projects, manage project delivery, interface with clients and develop others. The role will involve:
• Leading wireless projects. These may include strategy, design, assurance and/or advisory projects
• Understanding, capturing and developing client requirements
• Design development (from concept through to construction)
• Reviewing/approving others work
• On-site monitoring and witness testing of wireless system deployments
• Contributing to Arup’s developing knowledge and experience in wireless
• Preparation of, and/or contributing to, fee proposals for new wireless projects
• Projects will be both in the UK and abroad. The candidate must be willing to travel abroad when needed; however this role does not require extended periods away
• Working with our clients and the team to consider how we can use new techniques of data, modelling and analytics to deliver our services in this space as well as potentially develop product and tools that would be reusable and repeatable in this field
You will report to the Leaders in the Systems, Infrastructure & Integration team as well as into the Wireless Skills Leader.
Arup’s Advanced Digital Engineering group is a diverse team of over 300 expert consultants, bringing together integrated combinations of outstanding digital and data-related capabilities with world leading engineering and design strengths.
We solve our clients’ most complex challenges and help them respond to the fast-changing digital world. To do this, we support clients with the best combinations of our expertise, including advanced data, analytics, AI/ML, user-centred design, performance-based design, materials and numerical simulation with strategy, technology design, consulting and advisory services.
We lead and support transformative projects across a wide range of industries and sectors, using our advanced capabilities and this cross-sector experience to understand cutting edge innovations in technology and digital wherever they occur, drawing on the best of these for the benefit of our clients. We deliver total value for our clients by pulling together our advanced expertise with new insights from data, models, predictions and algorithms, and scaling this around the world.
Skills/Experience required for the role
We are looking for candidates with at least 10 years’ project experience in two or more of the following areas:
• developing wireless system strategies
• wireless systems design and delivery
• wireless systems design and delivery assurance
• wireless advisory services
This could have been gained, for example, from either another consultancy, in pre-sales or in an operational environment. Experience working in the property and/or transport markets specifically would be beneficial. A degree or professional qualification is not essential.
You must be effective at all forms of communication, both oral English (for meetings and presentations) and written English. They should also be capable of working on several projects at the same time and prioritise their activities. The candidate must be able lead/manage teams and be a team player.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• A demonstrable knowledge and track record working with the following wireless technologies:
o Mobile e.g. 4G and 5G
o Private Mobile Radio e.g. Tetra, DMR
o Coverage solutions (in-building and/or external)
• Expertise in wireless system design and integration within the built environment
• Experience in wireless system installation, commissioning and on-site testing
• Capable of writing of clear and concise reports and specifications in both technical and non-technical language, including preparation of easy to understand system diagrams and schematics
• An appreciation of how wireless technologies impact, and their relationship with, the work of others e.g. mechanical, structural, electrical, spatial and architectural
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
• Experience in interfacing with Mobile Network Operators, PMR service providers and Neutral Hosts
• Technical due diligence experience
• A working knowledge of one or more of the following technologies:
• An understanding of the regulations relating to wireless systems e.g. spectrum, licencing
• An understanding of RF propagation modelling tools/techniques
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Reward and Benefits
We offer one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to complement your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
The vacancy is being managed by Jamie Harris – jamie@email@example.com
Closing date: 20.04.2019