4 months ago
Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that support 85 million mainline and suburban passenger journeys, worldwide, every day. Our Rail Signalling and Communication systems are used on metro lines across major cities, and 72,000 kms of route, 52,000 trains per day in 16 countries are controlled by our Traffic Management Systems. Together We deployed the first-ever nationwide ticketing system which processes over 50 million ticketing transactions in 100 cities daily.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role
The technology and systems expertise offered by Thales’s Transportation teams powers safe, reliable and efficient services to rail networks the world over. In the UK, we deliver advanced signalling, supervision and control, integrated communications, security and information systems for urban rail in addition to mainline rail and roads. As Principle Systems Engineer you will draw on your experience with Axle Counters in which you will provide technical oversight and day to day leadership for the execution of engineering activities associated with rail signalling and train detection systems. Although this role is primarily allocated to the train detection systems products and team but with a diverse portfolio of rail products some crossover to other products and projects within the Mainline Signaling (MLS) business line is expected when required to provide railway domain/signalling experience/knowledge to support projects. As our UK GTS business grows this is a very visible position within our MLS business that will see your interacting with customers and also internal stakeholders in the UK and Germany.
Required Skills (underpinning Knowledge for this position)
* Demonstrable leadership competence with an ability to influence individuals without reliance on direct line management relationships.
* A demonstrable ability to build effective relationships with Network Rail and internal stakeholders
* A demonstrable ability to think at the systems level and innovate.
* Excellent analysis and decision making skills.
* A willingness to learn and develop any gaps in experience/competence.
* Appropriate engineering and technical qualifications (or equivalent) supported by signalling engineering experience gained in either mainline or urban projects.
* Appreciation of signalling principles, with good knowledge of Axle Counter principles
* Qualified to train axle counter products
* Experienced of working with Network Rail
* The ability to communicate effectively and establish good relationships with other team members and across disciplines
* Credibility, self-motivation and the drive to deliver successfully under pressure.
* Can manage configuration control.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!