11 months ago
Principal System Engineer - Infotainment
A Principal Engineer with specialist knowledge in Infotainment (including audio and acoustics) and HMI (covering switches) is required to join our Electronics and Controls Systems group to support our exciting new Electric Vehicle project.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
When you invent something, the right technology to support it often doesn’t exist. So we make our own. From advanced systems, components and power supplies to building a digital motor from scratch, Dyson electronics engineers have enabled Dyson ideas to become reality. As our future products rely more on robotics, connectivity, and complex sensing and navigation technologies, our high speed electronics will stand us apart. From designing the hardware to the systems that make Dyson machines as reliable as they are intelligent, our electronics engineers are central to our most pioneering RDD.
* Write, interpret and apply detailed component engineering specifications both for audio and switch.
* Ensure that all of the requirements and targets are met.
* Complete RFQ’s, design enquiries to obtain feasibility, costs and timing for implementations
* Engage with programme and interior design teams to agree requirements and deliverables for the audio and switching.
* Produce and manage commodity timing plans to support delivery of audio and switching components.
* Coordinate and manage suppliers on design and delivery.
* Raise and manage engineering part releases.
* Support all prototype build, virtual and real (including rigs) As a senior employee, a successful applicant will be expected to:
* Demonstrate technical delivery experience, hardware and software in the automotive industry.
* Able to communicate confidently at all levels within business and the supply base.
* Good project management skills.
* Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility.
* Demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through design reviews and analysis.
* Assist in the personal development of junior team members. •
* Qualifications, skills and behaviours: Education and experience:
* Minimum BEng/MEng degree or equivalent in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience.
* Ability to understand the wider electrical system
* Confident in the application of NPI, NPD, DVP and gateway disciplines
* Experience in automotive communication network such as CAN and LIN
* Knowledge of automotive plastics and finishing processes, and interior illumination design
* Experience of switch design or mechatronics design
* Experience of capacitive sense or other touch sensitive technologies
* The ability to develop electrical system interfaces between user controls and Infotainment system
* Knowledge of audio system EQ and tuning; amplifiers, speakers and DSP settings
* Tests cases for audio •HMI experience would be a distinct advantage
* Self-motivated and able to deliver with minimum supervision
* Good PC skills and must be IT literate
Essential behavioural skills:
* Excellent analytical ability and attention to detail.
* Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
* The ability to take a leadership position within a project with little direction.
* Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
* To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of research teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
* Excellent team working skills.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, very generous leave, income protection, and private medical and dental care (level dependent). But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.