5 months ago
Principal Structural Engineer
An exciting opportunity for an ambitious Principal Structural Engineer to join WYG’s extremely successful and versatile Engineering team. Based in our Bristol office, this is a unique opportunity to become part of the established and growing Civil and Structural Engineering team working on varied and interesting commissions.
Reporting directly to the Structural Engineering team lead, this role will primarily be a technical design and report preparation role, delivering projects within the Southern region and further afield as part of national delivery teams. The role will also offer the opportunity to generate your own work and will involve working closely with the team lead to assist with general team management as well as management, design and delivery of a wide range of Engineering projects across various sectors. You will supervise a small but able team and will be expected to mentor our newly appointed undergraduate/graduate Engineers, while they also deliver commissions. One of our key values is to provide excellence in everything that we do.
You will be involved with both new build and refurbishment projects, working from the early planning stages right through to the end of the delivery phase. Our Structural Engineering team deliver projects using the latest design software and we integrate this with Revit as much as possible. As well as design, we complete commissions involving inspection and reporting as well as providing input into assessment studies. You will, therefore, need a good standard of written English for this role. Due to the nature of our work, in the defence and government sectors, you will be required to hold, or achieve, a level of security clearance which the company will facilitate.
* Experience of general team management and supervision
* Management of projects involving other disciplines
* Good technical knowledge of building design and general Structural Engineering
* Good communication skills, both written and verbal
* Good problem solving, analytical skills and numerical knowledge
* A practical approach to time-management and the ability to switch between jobs at short notice
* Being able to deliver multiple projects at the same time and co-ordinate the work of other project engineers, graduates and technicians
* The ability to work independently
* The willingness and flexibility to be able to work outside your knowledge and comfort zone
* An appreciation and knowledge of Civil Infrastructure design
Prior experience and knowledge of Building Structures and Structural Engineering is essential for this role including:
* A recognised engineering degree
* Chartered with the Institution of Structural Engineers
* Ability to obtain a minimum of ‘DV’ security clearance
* Experience of working on military projects
* Experience of working on historic building projects
* Design of new building Structures using Eurocodes
* Familiarity of the older British Standards for refurbishment projects
* Knowledge of the Building Regulations and associated design codes (i.e. NHBC standards)
* Knowledge of the diagnosis of defects including cracking
* Use of specialist computer design software such as Tedds, Tekla Structural Designer as well as being able to use MS Office and specialist financial packages
* Ability to be able to use CAD and Revit to make minor drawing changes if necessary
* Knowledge of the CDM 2015 regulations and health and safety law
* A strong commitment to knowledge acquisition and CPD
* Full UK driving licence
* You will be required to pass the CITB test to obtain a CSCS card if you do not already hold the appropriate certification
At WYG we develop, design and deliver interdisciplinary projects that support a sustainable future; from technical solutions to complex challenges. Our teams connect across a project lifecycle, creating tailored programmes that address client needs and manage risk.
* We work alongside clients to develop their strategies and plans providing the services they need to unlock opportunities.
* We design for outcomes that realise value for clients and make a difference in communities
* From single projects to large-scale programmes of work we deliver against our client’s objectives and are adept at working in complicated or highly regulated environments
WYG is now part of the Tetra Tech group, a leading provider of consulting, engineering, programme management, construction management, and technical services. As part of the Tetra Tech team – 20,000 people in over 450 global locations – we can achieve more for our clients, through a wider alliance of services and industry expertise across our markets.
WYG is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
In return for your dedication, you will enjoy a quality total remuneration package, including car allowance, contributory pension, health cover and flexible working options. Pick and choose your perfect blend from advantages including retail vouchers and travel insurance. You will also benefit from on-the-job training and development, with support to achieve your career goals.