5 months ago
About the Role
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
We are seeking an experienced Principal Street Lighting Engineer to lead our Street Lighting Maintenance Team based within the Shrewsbury Office.
This is a fantastic opportunity to develop your Street Lighting career in a multi-disciplined technology environment. Reporting to the Associate Director of Highways, the Principal Street Lighting Engineer will act as the Team Leader and Technical Lead for both Street Lighting and Traffic Signals maintenance and design functions which we offer to our Client.
WSP are fully committed to Continued Professional Development and the new WSP Local Government Division actively promote involvement with the likes of the Institution of Lighting Professionals at regional and national levels.
A typical week would include:
* Supporting our Client with the expert knowledge they require to deliver the maintenance and programmed improvements to both their street lighting and traffic signals installations.
* Offering specialist advice relating to street lighting design, installation, maintenance and management, including reviewing programmes of delivery.
* Monitoring and managing the service delivery and technical issues with our Clients contractor, including the delivery of a programme of audits and inspections.
* Manage and development of a small Team of Engineers and Technicians.
* Provide expert technical advice to our Client in all matters relating to street lighting.
* Ensuring projects are designed and delivered in accordance with company and client quality requirements, H&S, CDM, QA and the relevant British Standards.
* Liaison with Clients, specialised contractors and other stakeholders.
* Undertake the duties of Principal Designer under CDM 2015 for both street lighting and traffic signal improvement works.
* Participate in the development of tender bids and business development opportunities as they arise.
* Agreeing fees and managing the commercial position on projects
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Chartered Professional or Incorporated Professional qualifications with a Degree, HNC/HND, NVQ Level 4 (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering or be working towards but substantially complete (with demonstrable evidence) and with Membership of the Institution of Lighting Professionals, or similar Institution.
* Good communications skills and fluent in spoken and written English are essential as is a full valid UK driving licence.
* Proven knowledge in design, maintenance and supervision of street lighting equipment.
* Proven working knowledge of British Standards, BS 7671, BS 5489 and Deign Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) and Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCDHW) in relation to street lighting projects.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Demonstrate ability to deliver projects, technical excellence and innovation.
* A good working knowledge of contract documents and in particular NEC3.
* You will be IT/computer literate and have knowledge of design software such as Reality Lighting, AutoCAD, Keylights and CableCalc
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.