6 months ago
We are currently looking for talented principle software engineers to join us on a fantastic journey and help us to build great applications and services in the Sainsbury’s Retail and Logistics team.
We work closely with our colleagues from across the business to implement awesome products, using technologies such as: Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language, RFiD, IoT, React Native, React JS and .Net Core.
You'll collaborate closely with other Software Engineers and Designers across multiple platforms and technologies to craft a beautiful application ecosystem that is consistent, highly useable, reliable and performant. You will also be a part of our community of practice to help identify new technologies which could be used to help us gain a competitive advantage in the dynamic retail industry.
What I need to do
Write excellent code, adhering to coding and commenting standards, while following best practice
Build reusable components wherever possible
Take a TDD and BDD approach to writing code
Work collaboratively and be an active contributor to continuous improvement within a team, providing honest and open feedback based on your experience
Own and actively contribute to the execution of our Digital and Technology Strategy
Shape platform architecture and instil to other engineers why we practice DevOps
Take the lead in architecting systems and applications
Design and implement smart ways of storing and displaying complex data
Mentor and coach other engineers
Lead and put in place remote and automated deployment of new code in a continuous delivery model fit for high paced and reactive delivery of requirements
Bridge the gap between development and architecture
Support the Product Owners by advising on the practicability of solution alternatives marrying up technical limitations with operational realities and providing recommendations
Undertake all roles required as a part of an agile development team to design, build and deploy bespoke applications in line with business needs and priorities
Contribute to post implementation reviews to incorporate learning’s into future work
How I will succeed
• Show that you have an excellent understanding for a number of technical skills, attitudes and behaviours
• Proactively seek opportunities to both improve and share your knowledge and abilities
• Lead and contribute across agile teams from a technical perspective
What I need to know
• Familiarity of new technologies and know where it’s appropriate to use them
• Advanced understanding and experience of both architecture and infrastructure and why its important to be aware of both
• Advanced understanding and experience of DevOps and why its beneficial to development teams
• Advanced understanding and experience of using various tools such as VSTS, JIRA, Confluence and GitHub
• Advanced understanding and experience of Unit Testing (including mocking and behavioural testing) and continuous integration
• Advanced understanding and experience of framework agnostic development, knowing when to use frameworks and when not to
• Experience in technical leadership and mentoring of junior software engineers
• Demonstrable experience in full stack development within a Microsoft development environment
• Familiar with business processes and commercial understanding of the business areas related to relevant systems and technologies
• Proficient in the selection and application of information gathering methods, tools and techniques which are appropriate to the information required and the sources available. Examples: contextual enquiries, focus groups, structured interviews, questionnaires, observation, statistical analysis
• Demonstrates an awareness of the uses of IT within the retail industry and IT trends
• Demonstrates ability to estimate costs for IT components
• Hands on experience with Cloud infrastructure and services, preferably with a good understanding of Azure or AWS
• Recognises the importance of the customer through gaining feedback and using it as a basis for decision making. Shares key findings with colleagues and great stories of exceptional customer service
• Takes responsibility, owns the issue and resolves it through identifying and working with the relevant individuals
• Reflects constructively and remains positive when faced with set backs and continues to work towards a solution. Considers the impact of decisions and reviews decision as required
• Takes advantage of every opportunity to communicate relevant information remaining mindful of the audience (e.g. translates complex/technical issues to meet the audience's competency level)
What I need to show
· We are Making It Happen. Successful completion of all required deliverables, in a timely manner, and to the required level of quality. Example deliverables would include project status reports, daily defect reports, remedy defect / incident reports, weekly document status reports, meeting scheduling, agendas and minutes.
· We are Trusting Each Other Working Together. Developing professional and effective working relationships with internal teams and partner suppliers
· We are Making It Simpler. Constantly seek new opportunities to improve project processes and procedures, improving the quality and efficiency of project delivery, and influencing colleagues to adopt the improvements.
· We are Delivering Great Service, Driving Sales. Demonstrate great analytical judgement and rational in all work, improving the quality and efficiency of project delivery.