2 months ago
If you’re a Principal Software Engineer who wants to join a high-performing team working on projects that make a difference, then we’d love you to apply for this role.
Working in Altran’s Intelligent Systems Expertise Centre, you’ll be involved in some of the UK’s most exciting projects, which include revolutionizing the approach to rail delays and designing the latest traffic management software for UK airspace – keeping air passengers safe every day.
Working within domains such as air traffic control, rail, civil nuclear, and defence systems, you’ll join a supportive, conscientious team who pride themselves on working thoroughly and with integrity. You’ll play an integral role in developing leading safety-related solutions to our clients. Our clients are supported through the whole system lifecycle, from early requirements analysis through to through-life maintenance.
As a key member of our team, you’ll be responsible for providing technical leadership to software project teams, which can include setting the technical strategy for large and complex sales proposals / projects. You’ll also coach, train and develop junior staff - sharing best-practice and being an active member of the Altran software community. You’ll act as an advocate for Altran national and international software communities, for example speaking at conferences or attending standards committees.
Other key responsibilities could also include:
* Producing software development plans, typically reflecting rigorous and disciplined development processes.
* Writing requirements specifications.
* Defining software architectures.
* Developing detailed designs.
* Producing assurance plans, including balancing static and dynamic analysis solutions to implement cost-effective assurance regimes.
* Producing test management plans.
* Developing test environments.
* Developing and executing test specifications.
* Supporting safety engineers in the development of evidence for software safety cases.
You’ll think analytically, rigorously and creatively, and are ready to contribute to a team that makes a difference. You’ll enjoy expanding your experience and taking on new challenges, and will be proactive with a willingness to learn and adapt.
As a key aspect of the role will be developing and building relationships, you’ll enjoy forming relationships with clients as well as mentoring and developing others in the internal team. You’ll have leadership or management experience and will have been operating at a senior level.
You’ll enjoy approaching things in different ways to find a solution– you like devising innovative and practical solutions to problems, which balance the client’s needs against costs, schedules and risks. You are also able to carry out detailed justified work to commercial and technical requirements, and constructively criticize and assess others’ work.
In addition to these skills, you’ll also be able to demonstrate the following:
* You will probably, but not necessarily, hold a degree within computer science, engineering, maths, physics or similar and will be a member of a relevant professional institution with chartered status, for example; IET.
* Ideally, but not necessarily, have demonstrable experience of the critical systems arena.
* Have a sound appreciation of the underlying principles of software engineering for complex embedded systems, for example the role of static analysis as part of the verification strategy.
* Understand industry-standard tools and techniques, and have a critical appreciation of their strengths and weaknesses.
* Understand the issues associated with delivery of complex systems.
In addition to the culture and career development opportunities at Altran, we offer training and development opportunities including matched pension scheme, healthcare and generous holiday allowance. We support and encourage all our technical staff to work towards Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.