2 months ago
Altran’s Intelligent Systems Expertise Centre located in Bath is involved in some of the UK’s most exciting projects, including revolutionising the approach to rail delays and designing the latest traffic management software for UK airspace.
We use rigorous development techniques to ensure that we deliver our clients best value for money without compromising quality and safety. We support our clients through the whole system lifecycle, from early requirements analysis through to through-life maintenance.
Reporting to the Senior Leadership Team, as a Principal Software Engineer you will be part of a conscientious and high-performing team developing leading safety-related solutions to our clients, while helping to develop our offer and coaching and mentoring junior staff.
Typical application domains include air traffic control, rail, civil nuclear, and defence systems. Tasks and responsibilities of the role will cover all aspects of the software life-cycle, and subject to competency and experience, could include any or all of the following:
* Being an active member of the Altran software community, sharing best-practice and contributing to Altran’s capabilities in this area.
* Providing technical leadership to software project teams.
* Setting technical strategy for large and complex sales proposals and/or projects.
* Delivering training.
* Providing flexible engineering judgement.
* Acting as an advocate for Altran within the national and international software communities, by speaking at conferences, attending standards committees, etc.
* Producing software development plans, typically reflecting rigorous and disciplined development processes.
* Writing requirements specifications.
* Defining software architectures.
* Developing detailed designs.
* Producing assurance plans, including balancing static and dynamic analysis solutions to implement cost-effective assurance regimes.
* Producing test management plans.
* Developing test environments.
* Developing and executing test specifications.
* Supporting safety engineers in the development of evidence for software safety cases.
* Contributing to technical content, for sales proposals.
* Performing consultancy activities in a variety of industry sectors.
* You will probably, but not necessarily, hold a degree within computer science, engineering, maths, physics or similar.
* You will have demonstrated operating at senior levels in relevant domains and/or disciplines.
* You will be an active member of a relevant professional institution with chartered status, for example; IET. We support and encourage all our technical staff to work towards Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.
Experience & Skills:
* Have proven leadership and/or management experience.
* Ideally, but not necessarily, have demonstrable experience of the critical systems arena.
* Proven ability to manage problems, devise innovative and provide practical solutions that balance the client’s needs against costs, schedules and risks.
* Work effectively both as part of a team and when working alone.
* Have a sound appreciation of the underlying principles of software engineering for complex embedded systems, for example the role of static analysis as part of the verification strategy.
* Be able to think analytically, rigorously and creatively.
* Likely be highly customer-focussed and have effective oral and written communications skills to a range of technical and commercial audiences.
* Be able to carry out detailed justified work to commercial and technical requirements, and to be able to constructively criticise and assess others’ work.
* Understand industry-standard tools and techniques, and have a critical appreciation of their strengths and weaknesses.
* Understand the issues associated with delivery of complex systems.
* Be interested in mentoring and developing others.
* This role may require obtaining the relevant level of security clearance.
In addition to the culture and career development opportunities at Altran, we offer training and development opportunities including matched pension scheme, healthcare and generous holiday allowance.