6 months ago
About the role
As a Principal Software Development Engineer within the Supply Chain & Fulfilment domain, you’ll drive the technical direction of some of Tesco’s most critical services. You’ll collaborate widely across Technology teams and with our product managers and programme teams to help move us forward in our technical strategy whilst delivering valuable outcomes for our consumers and customers. You’ll have a broader impact within the software engineering community in Tesco, offering architectural guidance and support as well as having the freedom to spend time looking ahead and proving out new approaches, technologies and tools. You’ll drive us forward in how we run and operate our supply chain and distribution systems at true scale, playing a key role in delivering the current transformation journey from legacy mainframe to Java-based API microservices.
You will be responsible for
* Defining and driving the development of technical strategy for evolving the domain.
* Being hands-on and making significant contributions to delivering outcomes.
* Working across Tesco Technology on wider technical initiatives and strategy.
* Mentoring and growing the technical capabilities of our engineering teams, using your knowledge and experience to educate and up-skill.
* Taking ownership of non-functional outcomes the team, including focusing on performance, availability, reliability, and security.
* Continually looking for how we can improve and evolve our technology, strategy, practices and processes.
You will need
Experience relevant for this job:
* Previous experience of working in and across engineering teams as a Tech Lead, Architect or similar role.
* Hands-on experience in development of RESTful APIs and distributed systems that work at scale.
* Previous transformation delivery experience would be a big plus.
Skills relevant for this job:
* A polyglot set of languages, frameworks and technologies on which you can draw from your background of commercial experience with.
* A high degree of emotional intelligence; you are aware of your own emotions, how you appear and can self-reflect on your actions. You can empathise with others and modify your behaviour and style accordingly.
* Problem solving, analysis and computational skills; you are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a thorough and logical approach to solving them and you retain ownership through to resolution.
* Customer focus; you can find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence and place the needs of our customers above the needs of you and the team.
* Written and verbal communication skills.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
* Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
* Car allowance of £7,320 per annum
* Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
* On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
* Retirement savings plan - save between 6% and 10% and Tesco will match your contribution
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
* Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
* Colleague Discounts:
* 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
* 10% off One Stop
* 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
* 20% off all F&F purchases
* 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
* 25% off Tesco Café
* 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
* 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
* An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
* Health screening every 2 years
* Private medical insurance offered by Bupa
* Cycle to work scheme
* Shuttle Bus Service to/from Hatfield & Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus & Hatfield Offices
* Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
* Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
* Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
* Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customers favourite way to shop, wherever they are and however they're shopping. We want our customers to be inspired by the solutions that we are building to help them find whatever they are looking for. Here’s how we’re doing it: We are building systems to solve real world problems at scale, impacting tens of millions of people Teams of great Engineers (and Managers and Product Managers) to learn from. We are agile and enlightened in our approach to building software and teams. There’s a great atmosphere and we work sustainably as a team Tesco has a “do the right thing” mentality.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life, offering many varying working patterns across our business, and we would love to hear from you!