12 days ago
About the Role:
At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations and society in general.
WSPs Local Government Discipline is a great place to work. As a world leader in civil engineering, we support Local Authorities across the length and breadth of UK, so the chances are the projects you work on will help improve your local area.
Whatever project you are involved with, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before, and with the full support of one of the largest engineering consultancies in the world you will have every opportunity to broaden your professional horizons and develop your career.
So, if you are ready to take this next step in your career, we can’t wait to hear from you!
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic Principal or Senior level engineer to support our Bournemouth Local Government Highways team on a permanent basis. The role would be based in a design office and covers an interesting and varied workload – from major highways improvements through to a diverse range of small and medium projects.
The team is currently supporting Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole’s Transforming Cities Fund Programme. The £100m programme seeks to transform travel across the region to more sustainable modes and encourage an increase in walking and cycling.
Your role will be at the heart of our high performing team, using your technical skills and expertise to help us continue driving forward in terms of both technical quality and service efficiency.
A typical week would include:
* Lead the design process and encourage the rest of the team to deliver appropriate and cost-effective solutions to the agreed programme and support those less experienced by technical review, mentoring and advice.
* Managing projects to ensure coordination of multi-disciplinary inputs.
* Managing resources effectively and efficiently to meet fluctuating work loads
* Working with Clients and design teams to deliver compliant designs on time and within budget and meeting H&S, CDM, QA and technical review requirements.
* Participating in tender bids and business development opportunities as they arise.
* Developing relationships with other WSP teams to utilise additional resources as required.
* Agreeing fees and managing the commercial position on projects.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Strong experience and knowledge in the development of highway schemes and civil engineering projects, especially those that promote more sustainable and active travel modes.
* Chartered or Incorporated Professional. Applicants with demonstrable experience that they are working towards professional qualification will be considered.
* Team and Line Management experience .
* Experience in project and resource management with good financial and commercial awareness.
* A thorough understanding of CDM Regulations 2015
* Proven knowledge in design, maintenance and supervision of highways related projects.
* Proven working knowledge of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) and Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCDHW) in relation to Highway projects.
* A working knowledge of relevant design standards ie TSRGD, Traffic Signs Manual, Manual for Streets and LTN1/20
* A working knowledge of contract documents and in particular NEC3/4
* A working knowledge of BIM processes,
* Knowledge on the application of 3D design packages,
* Skilled level CSCS
The role offers excellent prospects for career advancement and development for the ideal candidate.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
We value our people and our reputation
We stand for attracting, developing, engaging and retaining the best professionals in our fields of expertise, because our people are what make us great. We put the highest ethical standards at the centre of all we do. We are professional, humble and act with moral and intellectual integrity, keep our word, treat everyone with respect, support our colleagues and embrace diversity.
We care about individuals and their progress and offer the most fulfilling career development for our professionals. We promote our young recruits because we believe fresh perspectives bring great ideas and new energy.
Find your career path at WSP.
Please note that WSP reserve the right to close this vacancy prior to the advertised closing date.