29 days ago
Principal Project Manager - Onshore Wind
EDF Renewables. Building a sustainable future through wind power and other renewable technologies, in partnership with local communities.
Principal Project Manager - Onshore Wind, Competitive Salary & Benefits, Edinburgh (with remote working flexibility)
EDF Renewables UK (“EDF RUK”) is one of the UK’s leading renewable energy companies, specialising in wind power, solar PV and battery storage technology. EDF RUK develops, builds, operates and maintains wind farms and other renewable technologies throughout their lifetime, with an operational portfolio currently of circa 1 GW (33 onshore and 2 offshore wind farms). EDF RUK is seeking to deliver further growth from its own development pipeline or though securing new acquisitions of projects and has almost 4 GW in planning and development, with an objective to grow from circa 1 GW generation to 6 GW generation over the next decade and to play a pivotal role in the net zero carbon emissions target for the UK.
Reporting to the Head of Onshore Wind, this role has responsibility for leading the project management of onshore wind sites which form part of EDF RUK’s internal development portfolio from post or near consent stages through to final investment decision. The role also has specific responsibility for the management of the bidding process for the upcoming CfD auction (AR4), as well as working with the origination team to assess other routes to market. After the financial investment decision, the role then moves to oversight of the project in the construction phase, ensuring the Chief Technical Office (CTO) team delivers the project according to the investment case and providing support where necessary.
This is a key role which is central to our vision at EDF RUK to accelerate a Net Zero future and leading in the delivery and operation of renewables. Success in the role will be guided by our core values:
* Together – working with subject matter experts across EDF R in areas such as consenting, legal, engineering, construction and valuation, you will ensure activity is focused on projects that can secure a route to market such as CfD or Corporate PPA, and are ready for construction at the financial investment decision date, thereby maximising value
* Open – you are an effective communicator and can build strong relationships both internally and externally, as well as being someone who is able to provide clear commercial rationale which can be easily interpreted by and is open to challenge from colleagues from all disciplines
* Passion – above all else you will have a passion for renewables, and in particular onshore wind, and each day will live EDF R’s vision and values as an ambassador for the business
* Growth – as well as driving delivery through achieving to final investment decision on any projects managed personally, the role also includes line management and coaching responsibility of 2-3 project managers who own the day-to-day process for certain projects
* Resolve – you will be able to programme, prioritise and anticipate in order to meet to manage resource, provide the framework to address the day-to-day challenges of projects and make informed recommendations backed by high quality of deliverables to senior stakeholders
Business Knowledge and Experience
* A degree in a numerate discipline, ideally commerce or finance related, or commensurate experience in a project management / energy investment environment
* Must be a team player with the ability to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders across the business and externally at all levels
* Able to demonstrate commercial acumen and a willingness to learn and improve
* Experience of leading business development strategy and understanding key technology and commercial drivers
* Significant experience of leading skilled multi-disciplinary teams in large and complex projects
* Experience of delivering of M&A processes for power generation projects would be of benefit although not essential
* An ability to be inventive and show determination to overcome challenges
* Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be inquisitive and have a can-do attitude.
Functional / Technical Skills
* Thorough understanding of the project life-cycle and key project risks for different renewable generation technologies
* An ability to review detailed contractual documents and a working understanding of the laws which impact the renewable energy sector for the technology the role is working with.
* An ability to understand renewable energy technologies and the enthusiasm to keep their knowledge up to date
* Experience of producing and presenting accurate financial appraisal and risks analysis for investment in infrastructure or generation assets
* A sound understanding and experience of the market, policy and regulatory environment and route to market challenges for renewable generation.
* Strong communication and presentation skills
* Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project).
Competitive Salary & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including a pension scheme, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn bonus.
Please let us know if you require flexible working arrangements by highlighting this on your application. We’re happy to talk flex in line with the requirements of this opportunity.
Why EDF Renewables?
EDF Renewables is part of one of the world’s largest electricity companies and our investment and innovation in the UK is bringing down costs for consumers and bringing significant benefits for communities.
With our operational portfolio of 36 wind farms – including two offshore wind farms – and one of the largest operational battery storage units in Europe, from the Scottish Highlands to Northamptonshire, we are providing some of the much needed new affordable, low carbon electricity to the UK.
Work is well underway on the 450 MW Neart Na Gaoithe offshore wind farm project which is in the Firth of Forth and we’ve extended our Edinburgh office to accommodate around 60 new team members.
We have more than 2 GW of renewables projects in planning and development and a quarter of those are consented. We also have offices in Rainton Bridge near Durham and in London.
We know our people are our most valuable asset and we work hard to create a great place to work. This means we’re focused on creating an inclusive and fulfilling working environment, where everyone has a voice and the opportunity to thrive