4 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations and society in general.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer or Senior Engineer to join the Capital Projects team, lead and deliver a range of traffic engineering and road safety schemes, including consultations and implementation.
Work will comprise of feasibility design right the way through to implementation and could involve multidiscipline delivery teams and various stakeholders.
The post holder will report to the Capital Projects team lead and will be responsible for managing and delivering a variety of schemes.
The role forms part of WSP’s Highways and Transportation services to Westminster City Council (WCC) working in partnership with the contractor FM Conway.
A typical week would include:
* Reviewing project briefs and preparing robust fee proposals for cost reimbursable design work.
* Preparing reports, drawings, schedules, bills of quantities, cost estimates and other documents in accordance with Westminster’s local procedures
* Delegating work packages within the Capital Projects team
* Reviewing designs/design packages in progress within the team to ensure project objectives are being met and deliverables are in line with Westminster City Council standards
* Monitoring monthly financial performance, including monthly financial review process and report to Capital Projects team Lead
* Undertaking technical review and checking of design deliverables within team
* Ensuring Key Performance Indicator (KPI) targets are completed on time
* Actively encouraging technical and professional development within the team
* Carrying out client liaison including chairing relevant client meetings
* Undertaken design duties regarding H&S legislation, including CDM2015
* Working closely with contractor to ensure effective delivery of the works programme and to drive continuous improvement
* Encouraging liaison within in the team with contractor regarding cost estimating, buildability, programme and designing out health and safety risks where reasonably practicable.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* A relevant Engineering Degree
* Corporate membership of a relevant professional body (or working towards achieving).
* Up to date training in appropriate related subjects
* Ability to work and liaise with a wide range of professionals.
* The ability to manage resources to deliver work on time and to agreed budgets.
* Experience of managing major urban highway projects through the entire project life cycle, and working with contractors.
* The ability to prioritise, to achieve deadlines and to work with minimal supervision.
* Good spoken and written communication skills. With the ability to liaise with others including public sector officials, members of the public and other senior colleagues.
* The ability to motivate junior staff.
* Good IT Skills
* Working knowledge of current national and regional guidance/standards with regards to the fields of highway engineering. Knowledge of the DMRB
* Awareness of up to date initiatives/best practice in highways and transportation.
* Demonstrate up to date and relevant knowledge of all aspects of scheme design
* Relevant knowledge of Project Management.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
A little about us:
We value our people and our reputation.
We stand for attracting, developing, engaging and retaining the best professionals in our fields of expertise, because our people are what make us great. We put the highest ethical standards at the centre of all we do. We are professional, humble and act with moral and intellectual integrity, keep our word, treat everyone with respect, support our colleagues and embrace diversity.
We care about individuals and their progress and offer the most fulfilling career development for our professionals. We promote our young recruits because we believe fresh perspectives bring great ideas and new energy.