9 months ago
Title : Principal Mechanical (Piping) Engineer
Requisition ID :2018-25085
Work Location :GB-Cumbria-Whitehaven
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Mechanical
Position Type : Agency / Contract
Overview / Responsibilities
Due to continued success, an excellent opportunity has arisen to join Wood’s Nuclear Decommissioning business, based in our Westlakes office on the edge of the Lake District in Cumbria.
As a result of an increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities to join our team and support a range of interesting and challenging projects within our Nuclear business.
About Wood Nuclear:
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
The Nuclear Decommissioning business provides technical, scientific and project management services for major clients across the civil nuclear industry, including Cumbria, North West and LLWR and various overseas clients. We are proud to have supported these clients for many years, and our partnering arrangements will enable us to sustain and enhance this support in the long-term.
* To be able to lead a team of piping engineers and associated cross-discipline personnel in the delivery of complex and significantly sized work packages. The candidate would develop Project Delivery Plans with the Project Team, demonstrate commercial awareness during technical discussions, accept restrictions imposed and operate as a focal point for technical communications between clients and supply chain. In addition the candidate would develop cost effective multi discipline design schemes to meet client requirements.
* The candidate would able to perform the Role of Lead Engineer on large or complex engineering projects, managing project activities from a technical perspective. Provide guidance to junior engineers in establishing commercially sensitive solutions to technical problems whilst maintaining a professional stand point. Present information in a variety of forms aimed at a target audiences. Represent the company when dealing with outside agencies. Chair and facilitate technical and review meetings.
* Be fully conversant Regulator requirements, Standards and Procedures applicable at a project level and encourage compliance. Ensure statutory requirements placed on the Company are met.
Skills / Qualifications
* The candidate must have at least 10 years piping design experience in a role having direct influence over engineering practice and outcomes.
* 10 years’ experience of working within a highly regulated industry with 5 years’ experience ideally gained within the nuclear industry.
* 5 years’ experience of supervising engineering staff.
* Knowledge of national and international codes, specifications and standards.
* Development of designs against Safety Case requirements and Engineering Design Safety Principles.
* Familiarity with Autodesk CAD, Navisworks Freedom Viewer, Navisworks Manage, Autodesk Design Review, Autodesk Inventor, Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word etc.) Mathcad.
* The position is subject to the ability of the candidate to obtain as a minimum baseline personnel security standard clearance and obtain a Cumbria, North West P4 pass.
* The role holder should preferably hold SC clearance or have started their application, with the belief that there should be no grounds for this level of clearance to be denied.
* Current possession of a P4 Cumbria, North West pass and security ‘SC’ Level would be ideal.
* Experience of design delivery using the Cumbria, North West Ltd Management System preferred.
* Degree qualified or equivalent (eg HNC/HND with significant experience) in relevant engineering discipline with typically more than 10 years design experience.
* Chartered Status or degree qualified with extensive experience and working towards Chartership.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.