about 1 year ago
Title : Principal Mechanical Engineer
Requisition ID :2018-29683
Work Location :GB-Cumbria-Whitehaven
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Mechanical
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Lead/Principal Mechanical Engineer to join the Wood nuclear business, to be based in our Westlakes office in Cumbria. Wood designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the global energy and related sectors.
The nuclear business provides design, engineering, construction and project management services for major clients across the civil nuclear industry. We are proud to have supported these clients for many years, and our partnering arrangements will enable us to sustain and enhance this support in the long-term.
About Wood Nuclear:
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you, as a Lead/Principal Mechanical Engineer, to support a range of interesting and challenging projects in one or more of the following areas:
* General Mechanical Engineering design and technical integration
* Pipework and Vessels Engineering design
* Engineering Management
* Provision of leading technical expertise valued by clients, being a recognised authority in specialised areas and maintaining ‘front edge’ capability in developing techniques and standards within area of expertise
* Provision of cost effective engineering solutions and high quality customer service
* Ability to act as Wood Responsible Engineer for projects, possibly involving different technical disciplines and works, in a safe and sustainable manner and striving for continuous improvement in these areas
* Producing and submitting proposals for new work within area of expertise
* Proactively providing mentoring and training for staff as required for the benefit of the project and business
* Maintaining and developing customer relationships, through reputation, knowledge, experience and excellent delivery, to encourage follow on and new work within the skill area, to promote future business
* Provision of specified services to internal/external customers to agreed standards
* To carry out designated work packages within defined projects to standards of safety, cost, quality and time
* Assists in the management of projects, setting standards for the team which reflect good and safe practice, ensuring resource (financial and people) and information allocations are sufficient to complete specified tasks
* Where appropriate, contribute to the development of budgetary procedures, specifications and safety documentation
* Freedom of action to make independent decisions but within well established and clearly defined policies and procedures with regular reference upwards.
* Compliance with all legislative, regulatory and company policy, standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role
* Provide advice and guidance on issues to the Mechanical Design Team
* Active involvement in improvement initiatives/projects
* To ensure the Design Intent is met for the design packages produced
* To identify major technical uncertainties and provide suitable solutions and advice
* To organise, supervise, monitor and develop the team to ensure effective outputs
* To integrate and communicate effectively with other disciplines such as Safety, CS&A, Process, HVAC, Construction and Commissioning teams
Skills / Qualifications
* Degree qualified or equivalent (eg HNC/HND with significant experience) in relevant engineering discipline with typically more than 10 years design experience
* Chartered Status
* BPSS minimum security clearance with ability to achieve SC level
* Ideally a current P4 Pass Holder
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.