over 2 years ago
Principal Mechanical Engineer
Requisition ID :2020-73361
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Knutsford
Department / Discipline : Mechanical Engineering
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for a Principal Mechanical Engineer in our Knutsford office. The principal consultant role will suit candidates with demonstrable experience in the water or waste sectors; seeking an opportunity to build a team and broaden the company’s expertise.
The role will form part of a multi-disciplinary engineering team delivering design and client advisory services in the water and waste sectors. This will include technical assurance of engineering deliverables and, as we expand the team, provide coaching and mentoring to graduate engineers and technicians.
* Lead mechanical engineer for water and waste sector design projects
* Participate in proposals, scoping work packages and resourcing/time estimates
* Preparation and/or review of mechanical design deliverables including specifications, calculations, reports, datasheets, drawings and schedules
* Undertake technical appraisal of tenders
* Undertake asset condition surveys
* Provide input to testing and commissioning of mechanical equipment and installations
* Coach and mentor mechanical discipline staff and actively contribute to the technical development of skills throughout the wider team.
* Promote skills and innovation within the team; and externally with clients and industry contacts
* Support efforts to develop the digital transformation methodology in the delivery and management of projects
* Support efforts to develop a Synchro 4D/ 5D design and construction sequencing methodology
* Manage larger multi-disciplinary design projects or work packages that include scheduling and resource planning.
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
* Able to communicate clearly in the English language; both verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation using MS Office applications
* Diligent, confident, collaborative and highly motivated; when working as part of project teams
* Able to work accurately, flexibly and to integrate their work with other disciplines, whilst working to schedule and budget constraints
* Ability to prepare and review calculations, reports, drawings and design briefs relating to mechanical and process plant installations
* Experience in 3D piping design review for different process areas
* Able to manage large multi-disciplinary design projects including scheduling and resource planning
* A heightened awareness of personal safety and understanding of the CDM Regulations
* Flexible and able to undertake site visits and client meetings across the UK
* Able to use design software including AutoCAD.
Desirable (dependent upon level of experience held by the candidate):
* Flexible and able to undertake international assignments
* Demonstrable expertise in the detailed design of conveyance and treatment infrastructure for water/wastewater
* Demonstrable expertise in the detailed design of waste treatment facilities
* Experience in review of Energy from Waste/ Anaerobic Digestion plant design
* Experience in stress analysis of pipework
* Experience in hydraulic design for treatment plant components, pumping stations, pressure and gravity pipelines
* Experience in commercial and legal aspects of contracting
* Chartered Engineer with IMechE
* Degree qualified in a relevant mechanical engineering discipline
* Possession of valid UK driving license
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.