5 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
We are currently seeking a Principal Landscape Architect with good post-qualification experience to integrate and help shape our established team in our Birmingham office.
All applicants must be able to take responsibility for a wide variety of tasks, in a busy and diverse working environment and have the experience to lead and manage projects, making day-to-day decisions in accordance with their knowledge and capability.
The successful candidate will be joining a passionate and motivated team established in delivering landscape design and landscape/townscape assessment, in support of major infrastructure, development, rail, road and private sector projects, both within our business and to external Clients. Currently, our Client base ranges from Local Authorities, Government Organisations, the Highways Agency, Private Developers and Network Rail.
Opportunities exist for the successful applicant to be creative and imaginative, demonstrating a flair for sustainable design. Proven project and line management capability, and experience specific to road and rail is preferable.
The successful candidate will be entrusted with ensuring the continued delivery of high standard, robust technical and client focussed solutions and assisting senior management on the continued successful financial performance of the Team.
The Landscape & Urban Design team are positioned within the Environmental Services Service Line. As a team, working in a multi-disciplinary environment with colleagues across the UK and abroad, landscape architects at WSP are involved in a diverse range of work both in the UK and worldwide.
A typical week would include:
* Landscape design, ranging from public realm design to environmental mitigations;
* Landscape and visual assessment (LVIA) for rail, highways, power, residential and mixed-use developments;
* Townscape and visual assessment (TVIA);
* Preparing technical specifications and reports; and
* Public Enquiries and Expert Witness.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* BA (Hons) Landscape Architecture or recognised equivalent;
* Post Graduate Diploma or Masters Degree;
* Chartered Status with the Landscape Institute;
* Proven experience and technical capability gained within a professional consultancy or local authority environment;
* Excellent graphic, written, time management and communication skills;
* Experience in the use of Autodesk, KeyScape and Adobe design suites;
* Experience of landscape design - including the production of hard and soft landscape plans, schedules and specifications for various work stages.
* Experience of environmental impact and character assessment;
* Experience in the design and delivery of Road and Rail landscape projects from assessment, through to preliminary design and delivery onsite; and
* Project and line management experience;
* Sound knowledge of relevant industry legislation, health and safety/CDM regulations, contracts and tendering procedures;
* Experience of applying current design standards, guidance and good working practices; and
* A full clean UK driving licence.
Preferable additional qualifications, skills and qualities are:
* Experienced in the use and application of BIM, GIS and or 3D modelling software such as Rhino/3D Studio Max.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.