25 days ago
About the Role:
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
We are currently looking for a Principal Geotechnical Engineer to join our existing team in Birmingham team. This role is available on either a full-time or a part-time basis.
A typical week would include:
* The development of professional and technically competent reports and liaison with specialists and clients, making use of efficient working practices to provide industry leading, best value services.
* Effectively managing and delivering project work with robust project financial management.
* Assisting in the management of team resources and allocation of appropriate project resources.
* Managing, motivating, mentoring and developing professional staff.
* Providing support in all aspects of project delivery including client liaison, contractors and sub consultants, public and statutory body consultation, quality control and management of specialists.
* Site based work supervising ground investigation and construction.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Technical expertise in geotechnical engineering with a demonstrable understanding of the underlying principles.
* Consultancy experience with demonstrably good commercial awareness and relationships with clients & contractors.
* Experience in the delivery of geotechnical projects, including preparing reports to a high technical level.
* An understanding of client requirements and the ability to influence contract specifications.
* Excellent report-writing and client liaison skills.
* Proven previous experience of undertaking and managing: geotechnical desk studies; designing, procuring & supervising Ground Investigations (GIs); checking Ground Investigation Reports & Geotechnical Design Reports in accordance with the requirements of Eurocode 7 : Part 1.
* Working knowledge of Eurocode 7 and UK annex design codes, ground investigation and construction contracts and specifications.
* Familiarity and an ability to interrogate a wide range of geotechnical software for the design of civil engineering projects including deep and shallow foundations (including pile group analysis), embedded and gravity retaining walls, earthworks/slope stability and reinforced earthworks.
* The skills to check and critically evaluate the work done by others, be it drawings, calculations or reports, and have a proven track record of doing so.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.