8 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
Our Civil, Bridge and Ground team are looking for a Principal Geo-technical Engineer to join them in our Basingstoke office.
* Technical management and delivery of geotechnical projects making use of efficient working practices to provide industry leading, best value services to our clients.
* Effectively manage and deliver project work with robust project financial management. Has budget responsibility for the delivery of projects and services.
* Assist in the management of the team resources and allocation of appropriate project resources.
* Manage, motivate, mentor and develop supporting professional staff across the team. Contribution to technical excellence initiatives.
* Oversee all aspects of project delivery including liaison with clients, contractors and sub consultants, and public and statutory bodies, quality control and management of specialists.
* Working in accordance with accepted methods and legislation (including CDM) and operate in accordance with WSP’s corporate health & safety, environment and quality (SHEQ) standards. Taking ownership for aspects of SHEQ management across the geotechnical team.
* Undertake own continuing professional development and showing management of others across a team, to maintain and build professional capability. Also representing the geotechnical team at technical conferences and seminars.
* Actively contribute to the pursuit of new business opportunities within the local and wider geotechnical team and across WSP, including the preparation of some individual geotechnical bids and proposals. Assisting with business development in line with the business plan.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Degree in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Geotechnics, Engineering Geology or Geology
* Full professional membership / chartership
* Full UK driving licence
* In depth knowledge of geotechnical engineering, with a broad understanding of the underlying principles, and substantial project management experience of medium sized projects.
* Significant consultancy experience across a range of business sectors with demonstrably good commercial awareness and relationships with clients and contractors. Has strong communication and project management.
* Notable experience in the delivery of geotechnical projects, including preparing reports to a high technical level. Understanding of client requirements and the ability to influence contract specifications. Awareness of project risks and change management.
* Excellent report-writing and strong client liaison skills. Will have significant previous experience of undertaking and managing: geotechnical desk studies; designing, procuring & supervising Ground Investigations (GIs); checking and reviewing Ground Investigation Reports & Geotechnical Design Reports in accordance with the requirements of Eurocode 7 : Part 1. Client facing and able to lead at client/contractor meetings
* Demonstrable ability to manage geotechnical design teams within a multi-disciplinary environment together with a full understanding of design submission documentation and processes. An up-to-date knowledge of relevant UK legislation relevant to the profession.
* In-depth knowledge of Eurocode 7 and UK annex design codes, ground investigation and construction contracts and specifications.
* Fully familiar and able to interrogate a wide range of geotechnical software for the design of civil engineering projects including deep and shallow foundations (including pile group analysis), embedded and gravity retaining walls, earthworks/slope stability and reinforced earthworks. Familiarity with the use of geotechnical software for the management, review and presentation of ground investigation and geotechnical data and able to guide others to follow current best practice.
* Must have the skills to check and critically evaluate work done by others, including interaction with other disciplines, be it drawings, calculations or reports, and have a proven track record of doing so.
* Ability to implement technical excellence and innovation across the local geotechnical team.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.