8 months ago
Transport for Wales has awarded KeolisAmey a multi-billion-pound contract to run the country’s rail network. This is the biggest ever contract to be awarded in Wales and we will work closely with Transport for Wales to deliver a new era for passengers and for Wales, with more services, newer trains, better stations and a more reliable network.
Creating better places is our purpose and our passion.
Our team of 19,000 works across four continents – making us a leading supplier of consulting and infrastructure support services both in the UK and internationally.
We are an ambitious team and we work hard to succeed both as individuals and as a business. We’ll ask you to help us improve and innovate and in return we’ll help you develop and grow, so your success becomes our success.
Our work makes a difference to the daily lives of almost everyone in the UK. And our team are the driving force behind this success. So we’ll do everything we can to help you achieve your goals - whatever these may be - at every stage of your career. You may be surprised where an Amey career can take you.
What is the purpose of this role?
Lead a design team to ensure: Delivery of all project requirements on time, within budget and to the client’s specifications. Technically sound design solutions are produced, including all associated reporting, ensuring compliance with all relevant standards. Resource planning, staff utilisation, cost control and reporting requirements are met. Mentoring, advice and guidance is provided for staff, and professional development is actively pursued and promoted.
What will this role involve?
* Act as the Geotechnical Responsible Engineer for rail upgrades from concept design and ground investigations through to detailed design and construction. Coordinate with other design disciplines, internal and external clients and stakeholders, and lead the geotechnical project design team.
* Undertake and oversee a wide range of geotechnical design work, fully compliant with Eurocode 7. Implement effective, value engineered and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements
* Scope, plan and manage effective ground investigations
* Progress projects through preliminary and detailed design with particular emphasis on client requirements
* Prepare and check engineering designs, calculations, and manage the production of design documents for issue to the client
* Prepare and check technical documents, reports and contract documents and assist in the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders, including cost estimates
* Supervise team members including engineers, senior engineers, senior technicians and assistant and graduate engineers
* Liaise with clients, maintaining a strong client relationship, and ensure their requirements are effectively communicated to the team
* Respond to queries from and liaise with the third parties as required
* Advise on procedural and technical requirements as needed. Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM Regulations
* Assist with contract preparation together with project planning and programming.
* Project administration reporting to Line Management including monitoring programme delivery, resources and budgets
* Check to ensure compliance with the Integrated Management System and assist in its development
* Complete performance appraisals with direct reports and provide development opportunities
* Assist with competency appraisal processes, and lead and inspire team members to deliver first class project performance
What are we looking for?
* Chartered Engineer (C.Eng, C.Geol or equivalent), and Bachelor or Masters Degree or equivalent in Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology, Geology or Civil Engineering (with strong Geotechnical ability and experience)
* Engineering experience and technical skills commensurate with a professional of 12+ years post graduate experience
* Computer literate and thoroughly conversant with MS office suite and geotechnical design software
* Proven track record in production of technically sound geotechnical design – earthworks, retaining structures, foundations
* Excellent knowledge of statutory processes and technical standards, in particular experience with Network Rail standards and the GRIP process
* Significant and demonstrable experience in rail
* Knowledge of current Health and Safety Legislation and CDM Regulations
* High level communication skills, with the ability to lead complex internal and external discussions and/or negotiations with local clients and other stakeholders
* Work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels in the business
* Client focused approach to service delivery
* Demonstrate enthusiasm and willingness to participate in the career and professional development of others as well as themselves.
What makes this role unique?
You will ensure that good relationships are maintained with all external and internal parties to enhance the reputation of the company and organisational business unit.