about 1 year ago
About the Role:
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think ground-breaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
The Principal Engineer role is responsible for the delivery of projects ensuring the maintenance and enhancement of the WSP reputation with its clients (both internal and external to the organisation). The role will include developing designs at various stages and scales from initial optioneering and feasibility to detailed design and construction, with projects ranging in fees from £5,000 to £multi-million regeneration projects.
A typical week would include:
* Design and design management (including technical review) of:
* Flood mitigation and/or alleviation schemes looking at the management of surface water, ground water and fluvial flood risk;
* The design of drainage infrastructure
* Scour and erosion protection measures.
* Engaging in proactive communication with our clients to continually ensure successful delivery to their expectations;
* Maintaining the highest levels of auditability on your projects;
* Delivery of projects to client agreed programme, quality and budgets;
* Actively contributing to the maintenance of utilisations for yourself and your project team(s);
* Engaging in the technical and commercial development of the water team and mentoring of junior staff;
* Managing and building relationships with key clients, capitalising on and enhancing existing personal client relationships of your own;
* Participation in wider business initiatives as required, working alongside senior colleagues (including Directors) to continually develop our technical expertise and market position; and
* Conjunction with other senior local colleagues (see below) forge strategic relationships with clients and co-professional partners
* Development of strategic bids / input to multi-disciplinary bids;
* Liaison and management of other specialisms (e.g. geotechics, contaminated land, ecology, hydraulic modelling and our Complementary Resource Centre (CRC) based in India);
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Excellent technical skills and knowledge of: design of flood defences; design of water retaining structures; design of scour and erosion protection works; design of drainage; preparation of specifications and contract documents for the above; feasibility and constructability; affordability / outline cost estimates; hydraulic modelling processes; practical experience of Design and Build; and approval’s processes
* BEng / BSc (Hon) degree, or equivalent, in an appropriate discipline with solid post graduate experience;
* Chartered or Incorporated Membership of an associated Professional body (or working towards);
* Comprehensive experience of technical design and associated discipline software (AutoCAD, Civils 3D, Flood Modelling Software (FMP, Tuflow, ICM etc.) etc);
* Experience and proven ability to manage multi-disciplinary design teams; and
* Experience of MS Office Suite of Programmes.
The role will be a mix of public and private sector work and therefore the flexibility to respond to any appropriate opportunities that may present themselves or that your personal contacts may lead to is essential.
The focus will be design, design management and leading quality of design from the wider team. Competence in commercial project management is essential to monitor budgets and programme but Project Management is not a significant requirement of the role.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.