3 months ago
About the Role
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
The Water Specialisms team is seeking to expand and keen to include similarly enthusiastic staff at all levels. The Principal Engineer role is responsible for the delivery of projects ensuring the maintenance and enhancement of the WSP reputation with its clients (both internal and external to the organisation).
The role holder’s primary responsibilities will be design and design management of selected multi or single disciplinary projects. The role holder must take a proactive and ‘hands on’ approach to all aspects of the role.
The role will include developing designs at various stages and scales from initial due-diligence, optioneering and feasibility to detailed design and construction, with projects ranging in fees from £5,000 to £multi-million regeneration projects.
A typical week would include:
* The feasibility, design and design management of a range of SuDS and flood alleviation schemes looking at the management of surface water, ground water and fluvial flood risk ranging from small retrofit schemes to large strategic schemes;
* The design of water supply and drainage infrastructure; and
* The design and design management of river restoration, scour and erosion protection measures.
* Liaison and management of other specialisms (e.g. geotech, contaminated land, ecology, hydraulic modelling and our Complementary Resource Centre (CRC) based in India);
* Client liaison along with statutory bodies and utility providors;
* Checking / approval of design packages;
* Development of strategic bids / input to multi-disciplinary bids;
* Visual condition inspection of drainage and drainage features, flood defence and river wall structures;
* Mentoring junior staff;
* Improving our capabilities in Design and Build water projects; and
* Maintaining and developing our relationships with our Private and Local Authority clients to expand the breadth and volume of services we provide.
Competence in commercial project management is essential to monitor budgets and programme but Project Management is not a significant requirement of the role.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* BEng / BSc (Hon) or equivalent discipline with solid post graduate experience;
* Chartered or Incorporated Member of associated Professional body;
* Comprehensive experience of technical design and associated discipline software (AutoCAD, Civils 3D, WINDES or similar etc);
* Experience and proven ability to manage multi-disciplinary design teams; and
* Experience of MS Office Suite of Programmes.
* Excellent technical skill and knowledge to deliver engineering solutions including:
1. Design of SuDS features (planning and detail design)
2. design of flood defences;
3. design of water retaining structures;
4. design of scour and erosion protection works;
5. design of drainage;
6. preparation of specifications and contract documents for the above;
7. feasibility and constructability;
8. affordability / outline cost estimates;
9. hydraulic modelling processes;
10. practical experience of Design and Build; and
11. approval’s processes.
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.