7 months ago
About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
The Development Infrastructure team specialises in providing high level advice to mainly private sector clients on planning and design issues relating to Highways, Public Realm, Signal Design, Sewerage, SUDS, Building Drainage, Earthworks, Flood Protection and Utilities coordination/Diversion on Residential, Retail, Industrial and Commercial Developments both in the UK and overseas.
Regionally, we operate through our northern offices in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow. We are seeking an enthusiastic Engineer level Infrastructure engineer to provide regional support to the development infrastructure capability in the North West. The person will be based in the Manchester office.
You will work within a team to produce designs and drawings for construction projects and deliver technical reports for masterplanning and to support planning applications. You can expect to be active on a number of projects and client accounts at any given time. You will report to an Associate Director.
A typical week would include:
* Day to day project management in the delivery of concept studies and strategies with hands on design, leading to planning applications or construction drawing issue
* Taking financial responsibility for your projects and being responsible for ensuring your projects are delivered to budget, programme and technical standards
* Working on a number of projects and client accounts, liaising with clients at a local and national level
* Direct line management, including mentoring and managing early career professionals ensuring technical excellence is in everything we deliver
* Assisting in the preparation of fee proposals, and involvement in business development activities
* Helping maintain the culture and positive working environment in the team.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* You will preferably hold a civil engineering degree and either be Chartered or approaching Chartered status with experience in highway and highway drainage design
* Strong post graduate experience in a civil engineering working environment
* The ability to produce masterplans, site appraisals, write reports to support planning applications, design calculations and construction drawing
* A solid engineering foundation and an understanding of highway design and highway drainage principles (layout, etc.)
* Experience in the design of highways using PDS (or similar software packages) together with experience in applying Highways England and Local Authority design guidance
* The ability to work effectively with colleagues including more senior and junior staff in producing designs, drawings and reports is essential
* A solid knowledge of the relevant design codes such as Sewers for Adoption, DMRB and Local Authority Design Guides, to be well versed in the preparation of drawings for Contract Documents and S278 and S38 Agreement
* The ability to prepare designs for highway schemes including associated highway drainage.
All staff are encouraged and assisted to progress their training towards ICE Incorporated or Chartered status, with internal and external training opportunities provided.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
A little about us:
Our work is serious, and serious fun. We create homes for penguins, help you get from A to B faster and safer, create inspiring places to live and work, and shape the skylines of our cities.
We value our people and our reputation. Having a diverse and robust workforce enables us to look for answers, not problems, and we pride ourselves on offering clients clever, imaginative, future-facing solutions. If you are interested in finding ways to help society thrive, at home and further afield, an exciting career could be waiting for you here.